By Bogdan Popescu
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
•••• IMPORTANT ••••
Dash 3 is now available with a lot of new features. Please check out Dash 3 instead of Dash 2!
Instant search and offline access to any API documentation you may need.
Dash is an API Documentation Browser and Code Snippet Manager. Dash helps you store snippets of code, as well as instantly search and browse documentation for almost any API you might use (for a full list, see below).
Documentation Browser Features:
• Download docsets from CocoaDocs.org, RubyGems.org, Maven.org (Java and Scala), Packagist.org (PHP) and GoDoc.org.
• Supports docsets generated using popular tools like Appledoc and Doxygen.
• Methods are conveniently shown in a special Table of Contents.
• Highlighted in-page search.
• Save bookmarks of your most used documentation pages.
• Create search profiles to easily switch between docsets.
• Easily search specific docsets by defining keyword filters (e.g. start your query with "python:" to search only the Python documentation).
• Integration plugins for: Xcode, Alfred, Quicksilver, LaunchBar, Coda, Espresso, PopClip, Sublime Text, Atom, Chocolat, Emacs, Vim, BBEdit, TextWrangler, TextMate, Eclipse, AppCode, Android Studio, IntelliJ Idea, RubyMine, WebStorm, PhpStorm, PyCharm, Terminal, AppleScript.
• Easily integrate with any other application using the "dash://" URL scheme or the "Look up in Dash" system service.
• Fuzzy search. Don't let misspells get in your way.
• Built for speed. Searching is almost instant.
Snippet Manager Features:
• Collect snippets of code that you reuse often.
• Sync by saving your library in Dropbox.
• Over 80 syntaxes for code highlighting.
• Variable Placeholders can be edited before pasting.
• Abbreviations are expanded wherever you type them.
Special Snippet Placeholders:
• @clipboard expands into the contents of the clipboard.
• @cursor repositions the cursor after expansion.
• @date expands into the current date.
• @time expands into the current time.
• Multi-Touch Gestures.
• Menu item or dock application, always one keyboard shortcut away.
• Users that want to use Dash only as a Snippet Manager or Documentation Browser, can do so.
• Dash will nag and annoy you every now and then, in order to purchase.
What's New in Version 2.2.5
This update announces the availability of Dash 3, a paid upgrade of Dash. For more information check out https://blog.kapeli.com/dash-3.
Was a great tool - Until the developer got greedy!
I purchased this tool becuase I found it to be of some value. I use it often actually. But the developer is just greedy! I was a little bothered that you had to buy the ios app even after paying $20 for the desktop. But I could deal with that, what really ticked me off was the developers response when I tweeted at him about the pricing. He replied, “I couldn’t include the iOS even if I wanted too.” This was a clear sign of what was to come.
In a few months we have Dash 3, and boy this new version is a shady way to get more money. He wants to charge you for fixing bugs and an unfinished feature. I’m all about supporting developers and paying for software, but this developer is just greedy.
Another one gone shady
Don’t buy this app. It has been superseded by another version with minor changes submitted under a different bundle identifier and masquerading as a new product. Don’t buy that one either.
If the developer would be up-front about his intentions to change the pricing model, I’m sure many of us would happily get on board a reasonable yearly subscription of sorts where we don’t need to install and pay for a brand new app every year or whenever the developer’s whimsy dictates.
It’s an OK tool, and making money on useful software is fine, but there are good and bad ways to do it. This developer chose the bad way.
App update for an advertisement introduces an intrusive bug
App update to push the new version: okay, fine. Gotta make a living.
Now when you open the app, it doesn't open the app's only window. There's also not a keyboard shortcut, so every time I open Dash, I go to the "Window" menu to open the only window, which provides the entire functionality of the app.
Odds of the bug being fixed when the developers are busy with v3...?