The Leading Password Manager for Mac ◆ AES Encryption ◆ Website Logins ◆ iCloud Sync ◆ Automatic Backups ◆ Password Generator ◆ Flexible Templates ◆ Advanced Security Options
“Apps That will Change Your Life” - Wall Street Journal
“10 Must Have Apps (DataVault #1)” - CNET
"DataVault is a user-friendly and feature-rich password manager that will keep your information safe and accessible without hitting your wallet too hard." Secure Mac
“My most important app. I have used Data Vault for years. It is my favorite app. I have never had any problems. It’s always accurate, well designed, user friendly and safe.”
“Huge Fan of DataVault!! Everything I wanted in a Password manager! It looks great on my iPad, it works great on my Mac! The customer service is amazing!”
“The Best Password App For Your MAC. There are Password apps and then there is DataVault which is the only app to be using on your MAC. To me this blows the rest away.”
DataVault Password Manager for Mac protects confidential information such as passwords, usernames and financial information using Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), the most powerful technology to keep your data safe.
SECURE YOUR DATA
- DataVault encrypts your information using AES, the global standard for data protection. Your master password isn’t stored anywhere on the device. Not even Ascendo has the key. Only you can unlock your data.
- Provides 256-bit encryption with PBKDF2 and salting to insure the highest level of security of any password manager.
- Set a Security Timeout to require login after an inactivity delay.
- Set Maximum Login Attempts to wipe your data after successive failed login attempts.
- Set a Master password hint in case you forget your master password.
- Use Field Masking to shield data from prying eyes.
- Automatically enter usernames, passwords and fields using extensions for Safari or Firefox. See user guide for installation instructions.
- Save web form contents directly to DataVault.
- Backup your data automatically to insure you never lose your important information.
- Create strong passwords using build-in Password Generator with settings for length and types of characters. Strength Meter tells you if you passwords are weak, good or strong.
- Synchronize with DataVault for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and other devices (sold separately).
- Use iCloud, Dropbox, Wi-Fi to synchronize your devices.
SIMPLE TO USE
- View items in list view or folder view.
- Use Templates to enter common items such as bank accounts, credit cards and logins.
- Select from 50 default templates or create your own.
- Use categories and types to organize Items.
- Duplicate items for faster entry.
- Search Settings including case sensitivity.
And a whole lot more...
- 200 icons to personalize your Items.
- Import from mSecure, Keeper, 1Password, EWallet, SplashID, Keepass & other applications.
- Import from text files in CSV format.
- Print items.
- Great email support.
Incorporated in San Diego, California, Ascendo has been a leading software developer since 2004.
Questions? We would love to hear from you! firstname.lastname@example.org
Secure. Powerful. Simple. Try DataVault Password Manager today!
- Localized to German & French.
- Fixed issues with Wi-Fi synchronization.
- Improved in-app help.
- Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve used this for years… ALWAYS reliable and stable!
FIRST: GET A PASSWORD MANAGER. period. Then USE IT, for ALL your passwords. Make it your habit. Then use it to make longer, more secure passwords, and change them easily. Truly, it is a worthwhile investment, and loads better than a ratty notebook in the drawer by your keyboard. [End PSA rant]
I recommend DataVault, as I’ve used it for years, and it has never disappointed me. DataVault has stood the test of time, a rarity in the iOS universe. It’s remained relevant and become more powerful and easier to use, without bloating into something it aughtn’t be in the first place. The desktop-iOS integration is seamless, and iCloud sync works flawlessly across my devices. If I remember correctly, DataVault was a month or two behind 1Password to introduce Touch ID (which saves loads of time), but when they update, it works… period. In fact, in all the years I’ve used DV, no update has ever been unstable or flaky–also a rarity for iOS apps. This developer takes both our security and our trust seriously.
UPDATE: As nearly all the other names in the password manager field move to a subscription model (WHICH I HATE, IN ALL INSTANCES!), Ascendo has kept DataVault as a standalone app on all platforms, with all features enabled. If at some point they do a major paid upgrade, I will gladly pay it to simply own apps outright that work as beautifully as Datavault always has. Thank you for not gouging your customers like so many others.
Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review! I really appreciate that. Our implementation of Touch ID provides a setting to Require Password Once per session, Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Never. For security purists, require a password Once per session is a welcome option. Requiring a password occasionally makes sure you don't forget it. If you never want to be prompted for your password, then users can choose Never. No other password manager provides that granulatiry.
Best, Marc Bolh, CEO Ascendo
Can’t survive without this app!
I can’t imagine surviving our password and data driven world without this app, I use it nearly every day either to store or to retrieve data. I use it to store passwords and all sorts of other important data, securely on my laptop or other device, and sync it easily across all of my devices via a secure wifi. Every time I am forced to create a new account of any kind I quickly set up a new entry in DataVault on whatever device I am using at the time - phone or pad - to store the relevant information url, customer service #, account name, password and anything else that may be relevant. Then when I am back on my secure wifi I can quickly sync between all of my devices. For those who prefer to sync via the cloud, that option is also available. Pre-designed templates for various types of data make it easy and each is customizable to add additional fields. And of course the entire data base is searchable. It is invaluable when traveling because I always have secure access to my data since it is stored on my device, not in the cloud, which I believe is one of its best features.
Thanks for your excellent review!
Best, Liam, Customer Success Manager
It just flat out WORKS!
This application, with its Dropbox option for synchronization, works flawlessly across all our hardware and OS platforms - iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone and Surface Pro 4. It is intuitive, simple to use, and really well thought out in how entries can be customized when making new templates and then easily customized on-the-fly if you need to add a new field for one specific entry. Have tried several Password Minders including one that I had committed to for seveal years and hundreds of entries only to find out last year that the developer no longer supported the product AND it was no longer available. My only slight difficulty occurred when trying to use the WiFi sync function which seemed a little bit wonky and I could never get to function properly. I am willing to admit that it was probably “operator error” on my part given how well the rest of the app works. I also had some difficulty getting this to sync properly with my Dropbox Plus account but easy workaround with a new, free DB account devoted to this app exclusively. Well worth the money!
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! If you have any questions or concerns regarding synchronization, you can always email email@example.com and we'll respond to you as soon as possible!
Best, Liam, Customer Success Manager
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.