“David Bowie is” is an adaptation for iPhone of the blockbuster exhibition that originated in London’s Victoria and Albert Museum in 2013 and toured the world for five years to record-breaking attendance and international acclaim.
This augmented reality exhibition tells the story of Bowie’s life and career through costumes, videos, photography, drawings, storyboards, music scores, handwritten lyrics, letters, and diary entries. It displays over 400 items from the iconic exhibition in a sequence of 25 newly designed virtual exhibition rooms, with many never before seen items. No headsets required, all you need for the best experience is a pair of headphones.
"David Bowie is...the freakiest show on your smartphone." - The Guardian
“Extraordinary stage costumes, inspired handwritten lyrics, production notes, diary entries, and music videos bring the 'artistic diversity' of David Bowie's legendary career into focus.” - CNET
David Bowie is includes:
• 56 Costumes
• 38 Songs
• 23 Music Videos and live performances
• 60 Original lyric sheets and design notes
• 50 Photos
• 33 Drawings and sketches
• 7 Paintings (that’s right, he painted too)
Each digitally scanned item can be inspected in astonishing detail at the viewer’s leisure, in their own environment, with no crowds or glass separating them from the intimate artifacts of one of the most influential artists in popular cultural history.
- More praise for David Bowie is -
"David Bowie Is… could have been overwhelming, but instead it felt like a vessel of his spirit." - Pitchfork
“If you loved Bowie in a manner that could not be reasonably described as casual, grabbing the app will be the best $7.99 you’ve ever spent.” - Buffalo News
"The David Bowie AR app conjures the sense of a present absence." - GQ
“Here is augmented reality with a soul.” - Hypebot
- Compatibility -
For iPhones 6S, iPad 2017, iPad Pro and later models running iOS 11 and later. You do not need a VR headset to view this exhibition. Only your iPhone and headphones.
- Privacy, Safety, and Support -
This app requires access to your device's camera and microphone in order to use augmented reality. However, no personal data is recorded or saved, your privacy is 100% guaranteed. As you will need to move around to view the exhibition, please be aware of your surroundings while using the app.
- Things to Know -
This app uses your phone and battery intensively - you might notice your phone heating up during prolonged use, this is normal. Taking breaks will help reduce this heat buildup. This app also streams a significant amount of data to your phone, so be sure to connect to a strong wifi network if available.
Please visit http://davidbowieisreal.com for support.
Thanks for visiting the show! This update includes:
- Much reduced jitter for a smoother viewing experience
- Enhanced versions of several objects
- Small calibration improvements
Ratings and Reviews
This app really does the exhibit justice
Exploring this app has been so much fun. Having the chance to click around, look at things close up, and interact with the pieces is awesome!
I saw the exhibit at the MCA in Chicago a few years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I have it in my home any time I want to see it!
Absolutely incredible. Like you’re actually there. Love and miss you always David.
Anyone who wants to relive the exhibit
This gives us the amazing ability to get up-close and spend time noticing every detail from the best of the exhibit. A must have for any fan.
- Sony Music Entertainment(Japan)Inc.
- 185.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Sony Music Entertainment(Japan)Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.