Day of the Dead - Experience the Tradition
By University of Notre Dame
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Explore the Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos), a traditional Mexican celebration of the lives of ancestors, through spectacular photographs, audio, interviews, and video footage. Experience this growing cultural tradition, which has, in recent years, become a cross-border cultural movement embraced as a new—and evolving—American tradition. Drawing from an archive of the University of Notre Dame’s ten years of celebrating the Day of the Dead, this fun and visually rich teaching and learning tool brings the Day of the Dead to your iPad:
- See up-close and interact with the elements of a traditional ofrenda (altar).
- Visit a traditional bakery to see how pan de muerto (bread of the dead) is prepared.
- Watch the installation of an artist’s ofrenda through time-lapse photography.
- Interact with a 3-D sugar skull!
- Learn about the origins of Day of the Dead from leading Latino theologian Rev. Virgilio Elizondo.
- Listen to a traditional form of Day of the Dead music performed by anthropologist and recording artist Alex J. Chavez.
The Julian Samora Library at the Institute for Latino Studies, University of Notre Dame, in cooperation with the University’s Snite Museum of Art, developed this iPad app as an interactive, multimedia teaching and learning tool for teachers, students of all ages, and the general public. Please visit the Institute for Latino Studies website at http://latinostudies.nd.edu/.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Released: Feb 01, 2012
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 192 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: University of Notre Dame du Lac
- © 2012 University of Notre Dame
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.