DC Wire Sizer
By Gayle Dunham
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
DC Wire Sizer is the most complete and comprehensive marine DC wire sizing tool in the App Store. Designed for both the marine professional (Sizer Pro) and the occasional user (Sizer Wizard, with just 4 easy questions). DC Wire Sizer is an indispensable app for anyone adding, upgrading or inspecting marine DC wiring.
HERE’S WHAT THE USERS SAY ABOUT DC WIRE SIZER:
"So great to see such a simple user friendly App. That virtually anyone can use with speed and accuracy. No more pulling out the marine catalog and trying to find the wire sizing charts and the calculator. Talk about a time saver!! Five Stars Guys!”
"The App is VERY user friendly -- almost scary good."
"I think this is an incredible app. I wish I had access to it when I rewired my boat. As it is, I think I over-wired some things and under-wired others. I still have some wiring to complete and having access to this app will greatly simplify my calculations."
All too often boat wire is either oversized, costing you more money, or worse, the wire is undersized potentially causing damage to motors and electronics and wasting energy. There is also an increased risk of a failed survey or fire. The #1 cause of boat fires is DC shorts/wiring! Don’t let this happen to you.
Both the Sizer Pro and the Sizer Wizard determine the proper wire size along with the voltage drop (VD) and ampacity using the ABYC E-11 or ISO 10133 formulas and tables.
SIZER PRO -- is designed for marine professionals, tailored for speed with advanced options, such as 7 insulation ratings, 5 wire bundle sizes and maximum VD percent. For more granular analysis of VD and ampacity, tap the results and adjust the wire size or length.
SIZER WIZARD -- is perfect for the occasional user, stepping effortlessly though 4 easy questions, before displaying the results. In each step, the user finds information, tips and help text instantly accessible.
SAVED WIRE RUNS -- can be assigned a description within a Project (e.g. boat or job name); a wire type; wire colors; a status (Active, Completed, Cancelled), material sources (Use Inventory or Buy) and more. And you can edit, email or export the wire run from the Wire Run or Raw Material List.
THE WIRE RUN LIST -- no need to write down all of the wire run information (e.g. wire size, length, wire type, color, name, and more). Saved wire runs can be viewed, marked or filtered (Active, Completed, Cancelled); or Re-order wire runs within, or between, projects in the Wire Run list.
THE RAW MATERIAL LIST -- tired of making multiple trips to the marine store because you forgot to add in a wire run and can't remember whether it was 8 AWG or 10 AWG? DC Wire Sizer sums active wire runs for you by wire size (e.g. 8 AWG) and type (e.g. Safety Duplex, Primary, etc.). Mark or filter your wire by "Use Inventory" or "Buy”.
DC WIRE SIZER:
- Two calculator interfaces to choose from -- Pro and Wizard
- Save your Wire Runs -- edit, email or export them any time
- Add a wire description and assign it to a project
- Select wire type, wire color, status (Active, Complete or Cancelled) and material source (Buy or Use Inventory)
- Three methods of measuring (One-Way, Round Trip or individual positive and negative)
- Select maximum voltage drop %, bundle size and insulation rating
- Select a fractional amp, watts or enter a fractional volt for low voltage projects
- Select or enter any voltage and up to 500 amps for solar and wind applications
- Sum the wires by gauge and type for checking inventory or purchasing
- Email and Export Wire Runs and Raw Material Lists
- Choose your Settings:
--Marine Standard; ABYC E-11 or ISO 10133
--Wire Gauge (AWG, SAE, or MM2)
--Unit of measure (feet or meters)
- Built-in Help text for each screen and field
- Built-in Technical Notes has installation tips, wire colors, connector types, formulas (ABYC, ISO, Power Triangle, Ohm's Law, etc.), recommended tools, and more.
Dirty Dog Software, LLC, solar powered iOS software development.
What's New in Version 1.1
DC Wire Sizer’s initial release set the bar for features that has still not been matched and has been extremely bug free and stable. Aside from iOS 11 compatibility and formatting changes, this maintenance release only has only a few minor changes:
1) Compatibility updates for iOS 11.
2) Enable wire bundles for all voltages, not just > 50v, since the current USA ABYC E-11 has no voltage restriction on bundle ampacity degradation. DC Wire Sizer has always had wire bundles but the earlier ABYC E-11 did not require the calculation when under 50volts. The new maintenance release of DC Wire Sizer has the bundles visible at all time.
2) The previous version of DC Wire Sizer only showed email export options when email was available (aka email had been set up on the device). This release shows the export options at all times.
3) Change to always display the clear button (“X”) in the Project name and Wire name text fields when editing a wire run.
4) Screen format changes (aka added auto layout support).
5) Made minor wording changes.
6) Added some higher resolution images for the help text.
7) Minor bug fixes.
We are currently working on two new boating apps plus a new general release of DC Wire Sizer that will have significant upgrades and enhancements (aka raising the bar again). Since the general release is still in development, please feel free to send us any recommendations for changes and enhancements. Thank you, Dirty Dog Software.