A beautiful and elegant chess application for the casual player.
John Gruber of Daring Fireball: “Without question the best iPhone chess game”.
Playing chess has never been a more pleasant experience. On any platform! Everything is beautifully rendered; from the board and pieces to the way they animate.
Deep Green for iOS is the successor to the multi-award winning Newton version.
If you like Deep Green, please rate it on the App Store.
- Play against engine or human, or engine vs. engine
- Adjustable engine strength
- Concentration setting allowing the engine to play more like a human
- Manual board setup
- Game playback (first/previous/next/last position, auto-playback, drag slider)
- Replay of last move
- Move suggestion (animated on board)
- Take back (undo, all the way back to start)
- Free choice between tap/tap and drag/drop moving (no need to set preference)
- Display of captured pieces
- Smooth animations everywhere
- Game and state saved between program sessions
- Rich, analog-type sounds (optional)
- Callout notification for check, stalemate, and checkmate, (optional)
- Vibration on check, stalemate and checkmate, (optional)¹
- Board coordinates (optional)
- Board auto-rotation (optional)
- Clean and beautiful user interface
- Two built-in skins
- And more…
¹) Vibration is only available if the iOS device is capable of it.
Fixed a bug that would prevent moving the pieces when using tap/tap moves.
Ratings and Reviews
Deep Green is a stellar game, if not the best of the chess games available anywhere for not much green. If you are looking for a game with brilliant offerings, one of my favorites is the manual setup option, than search no farther.
Please do yourself a favor and pay the price for this game.
Beauty crafted and polished
This chess app is the best I've found. I'm not a strong player - so the lower levels allow me to have some less strenuous matches. I can also ratchet up the brains for a real challenge.
I also appreciate the developer continually not charging again for the added functionality of new screen sizes.
I enjoy using this chess program and am very happy the money I spent went to such a great developer.
(Rotating the iPad is one of the best easter eggs I've seen in iOS for some time - so beautiful and delightful!)
Deserve to be first on top searches for chess games
I find simplicity the strongest point for this app. Good job from the developer on graphics and sound. Attention to detail without overwhelming just as chess is intended to be played.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.