Deep Green Chess
By Cocoa Stuff
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A beautiful and elegant chess application for the casual player.
John Gruber of Daring Fireball: “Without question the best iPhone chess game”.
Playing chess has never been such a pleasant experience. On any platform! Everything is beautifully rendered; from the board and pieces to the way they animate.
Deep Green for iOS is the successor to the multi-award winning Newton version.
- Play against engine or human, or engine vs. engine
- Adjustable engine strength
- Concentration setting allowing the engine to play more like a human
- Manual board setup
- Game playback (first/previous/next/last position, auto-playback, drag slider)
- Replay of last move
- Move suggestion (animated on board)
- Take back (undo, all the way back to start)
- Free choice between tap/tap and drag/drop moving (no need to set preference)
- Display of captured pieces
- Smooth animations everywhere
- Game and state saved between program sessions
- Rich, analog-type sounds (optional)
- Callout notification for check, stalemate, and checkmate, (optional)
- Vibration on check, stalemate and checkmate, (optional)¹
- Board coordinates (optional)
- Board auto-rotation (optional)
- Clean and beautiful user interface
- Two built-in skins
- And more…
¹) Vibration is only available if the iOS device is capable of it.
What's New in Version 1.2
- Optimized for iPhone 4 and iPad displays
- New default look of board and pieces (skin)
- Universal binary (i.e. iPad version at no extra cost)
Beauty crafted and polished
This chess app is the best I've found. I'm not a super strong player - so the lower levels allow me to have some less strenuous matches. I can also ratchet up the brains for a real challenge.
I also appreciate the developer releasing the iPad and iPhone 4 optimized graphics using the same binary and not charging again for the added functionality.
I enjoy using this chess program and am very happy the money I spent went to such a great developer.
(Rotating the iPad is one of the best easter eggs I've seen in iOS for some time - so beautiful and delightful!)
The game is beautiful and very clean, the most gorgeous Chess Game interface on App Store. Other great pro is the universal binary.
But I must say that the 1.2 version needs some features:
Deep Green Chess doesn't have an movements history, an analytical engine, an analytical small graph (just to see how you're doing during a game).
It also doesn't have any way of personalization like pieces designs, boards colors.
It also doesn't have any way of saving games, or exporting to mail.
Shredder is more functional, but less beautiful.
What am I missing
The game is fine, but I'm confused about previous reviews referring to the display/graphics as superb, stunning, beautiful, etc. Yes, it looks nice - but it's very simple and plain. Some may call that elegant or classy and I respect their opinion.. Based on the price and the reviews, however, I was expecting some smoking 3-D graphics. Yes, I saw the screen shots above, but chose to ignore them thinking there was much more to it. I'm sure this will be an excellent chess app, I just had my expectations way too high on the graphics.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Apr 19, 2011
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 22.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Joachim Bondo
- © 2008-2011 Cocoa Stuff
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.