Dentist Bird: A West African Folktale
By Literary Safari Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Featured in School Library Journal, Children's Technology Review, Beanstack, Parent's Choice Award, this storytelling app with embedded gameplay brings alive an interactive folktale! Enter Liberia’s rainforest and help one clever bird cure a crocodile of his terrible toothache! With teacher and parent guides to read, play, and learn at home and in the classroom.
2015 Parents’ Choice Recommended Award Winner: "An enchanting traditional folk story, offering interactivity on nearly every screen..."
"The "Mission of Mercy" game ... offers fast-paced fun that will certainly keep children coming back for more."- School Library Journal
"A must-have app for teaching compassion, empathy, and diversity." - Teachers with Apps
"Noteworthy App" - Children's Technology Review
4.25 stars - Digital Storytime
"Unique for its cultural content, quality illustrations, support for emerging readers and additional learning content." - Beanstack
"Great content, beautifully illustrated" - Children's Technology Review
Featured App: George Mason Center for Digital Media Innovation and Diversity
" Strong suits of this app include a “Learning” page with additional interactive content to engage young readers on facts about Liberia and rainforest animals, as well as a “Grownups” folder with links to detailed lesson plans and printables." - School Library Journal
Dentist Bird is the first installment in Literary Safari’s series of interactive global folktales.
::::: Read :::::
Tap and swipe to explore the sights and sounds of Liberia’s rainforest as you meet a Crocodile and his animal friends and help one clever bird make a very special medicine for Crocodile.
::::: Play :::::
Get achievements for helping Dentist Bird collect Crocodile’s medicine orbs and deliver them to him.
::::: Learn :::::
Match animal sounds and find Liberia on a world map.
::::: App Features :::::
• Original score by Dora the Explorer composer, Steve Sandberg
• Built-in mini-games that invite kids to unfold the story and help make a medicine for Crocodile
• Separate game inspired by folktale
• “Read to Me” with word highlighting to improve reading skills
• Resettable Achievements screen for Read and Play sections
• No ads or InApp purchase requirements
• Based on "How Plover Bird Came to Clean Crocodile’s Teeth: A West African Folktale," retold by Michael Richards and illustrated by David Wolobah• Fun geography and science learning activities
• Teacher’s Guide with reading, STEM, music, and civics classroom connections
• Printable graphic organizers and CCSS-alignment charts
• Parent’s Guide for reading and playing together at home
What's New in Version 1.1
* Updated app to support 64-bit architecture
* Better support for iOS 10+
* Better support for newer iPhones and iPads
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jul 11, 2017
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 228 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: LITERARY SAFARI INC
- © 2014 Literary Safari Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.