Deseret Bookshelf (LDS e-reader)
By Deseret Book Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Deseret Bookshelf is the incredibly simple way to read, search, and study your entire LDS library. This powerful app is the perfect companion for gospel learning, and a satisfying source of inspiration and doctrine that will last a lifetime.
Bookshelf from Deseret Book has been completely redesigned, making it simply the best LDS eBook reader available. When you get started you’ll receive eight free eBooks and find:
● Normal, Night, and Sepia reading modes
● Customizable view (fonts, font size, line spacing)
● Page-view and scroll-view options
● Elegant, modern interface optimized for iOS 7
● Tabbed reading allows you to easily switch between several open eBooks
● Easy access to your notes, highlights, and bookmarks
● All annotations backed up and accessible across your iOS devices
Search (faster and more powerful)
● Search your entire library or a single book
● Find exact phrases, any, or all search terms
● More accurate than ever before
● Easily switch between your library and search results
● Ability to share favorite passages with anyone through email, Facebook, and Twitter
● Option to tell your networks what books and authors you’re reading
Download the app and create an account to receive eight free classic LDS titles:
1) Jesus the Christ
2) Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
3) Discourses of Brigham Young
4) Lectures on Faith
5) History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
6) The Miracle of Forgiveness
7) Gospel Doctrine
8) Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt
Plus the entire Standard Works: the Old and New Testaments, The Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price. LDS scripture references within eBooks are linked to the entire standard works, allowing you to easily explore scriptural connections within your library.
Shop our eBook store for nearly 3,000 LDS eBook titles and other world classics from your favorite authors. Download many official Church publications for free, including curriculum materials and reference books.
Need help? Try our FAQs: http://deseretbook.com/bookshelf_faq
Need more help? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What's New in Version 2.2
● On the Announcements view, you can now tap on one of the three recently read books to open the book.
● Now you can easily delete a bookmark from the document content. Tap on the bookmark icon to expand the bookmark and you will see an “X” button that you can use to delete the bookmark.
● Now the chapter quick scroller is easier to find and to use. Simply start to scroll a chapter and the quick scroller will appear at the right of the view where you can then drag the scroller to quickly scroll through the whole chapter. This only works with books in scroll mode.
● If you create a bookmark but do not change the default name of the bookmark (which is the same as the chapter name) now, as you move the bookmark to another chapter, the name will automatically change.
● Now the app will check for updates to your library (such as new books purchased) periodically. If you leave the app and come back, it always did check for updates. But if you just stay in the app, it wouldn’t. Now it will check every so often for changes to your library.
● Implemented a smarter chapter caching system. Now moving between pages in a book will be faster, especially for very large chapters.
● Fixed a problem on the iPhone when you are in a call and try to navigate to another tab.
● Various color and visual tweaks.
● Fixed problem with line spacing in the scriptures. If you had single line spacing, some of the titles for books were too close together.
● Fixed a problem where sometimes a bookmark icon would appear at the top of the view chopped in half.
● Fixed formatting where the book content was getting cut off on some books in certain situations.
● Fixed a problem when archiving a book. It would sometimes fail to archive the book.
● Fixed a problem where some books have problems with their Table of Contents showing up properly.
● Fixed a problem with videos if the video was on the last page of a chapter.
● Fixed problem with the login button sometimes getting disabled, even though the user typed in their login information.
● Fixed a problem where on an iPad, if you switch between docked and undocked mode for the study tools, sometimes the book view didn’t get resized properly.
● Fixed problem where if you rotate your iPad, the location where you were reading was jumping around randomly.
● Many other bugs were fixed making the app more stable.
I really wanted to like this app, but...
I have bought several books and read them on this app. They worked fine. I thought people who complained must be wrong.
A few months ago I bought a couple of Old Testament commentaries. The app would not work at all. At first, I thought it was something I was doing. I literally would spend fifteen minutes trying to scroll down to the chapter I wanted to be on (Genisis 12). If anything slightly bumped or moved at all, I lost the chapter and had to start again. Frankly I cannot believe that I wasted so much time trying.
Frustrated, I emailed DBookshelf.
The person who answered told me that the company was aware that there was a problem. They advised me to uninstall the app and re-install it... Among other things. I followed the procedure lots of times, each time hoping that is would be repaired. The second volume was somewhat better. Volume one was not quite as slow, but it still took ten minutes to scroll down to chapter fifteen. It's crazy.
I was somewhat disappointed in DB as they were aware that it was not good quality. I thought they would offer to refund my money. ...nothing.
Recently I have asked for a refund as I cannot use this at all. I have not heard back from them, but I will not be using this app any more to purchase books. I do not feel like it is reliable, nor do I feel like the company has stood behind their service and product.
Happy after reinstalling
After deleting the app from my iPad 2 and reinstalling it per tech support Mike's advice, this app seems to work correctly. Deep sigh of relief. Bookmarks are working again and the app doesn't seem to be inclined to slam shut immediately. I was intrigued that I can name the bookmarks, facilitating my family to read the same book without losing our places or having to guess which was ours. After using it for awhile, I may come back to raise the rating back to my original 5-star pleasure.
1. I purchased Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon : Complete Series (McConkie and Millet) and it is almost impossible to use. Each book is one chapter. So if you want to look up something near the end if 1 Nephi you have to scroll and scroll and scroll through the long chapter to the end. And pity the person who wants to see something near the end of Alma. I imagine the millennium will have come and gone before that point is reached. If all the books are so poorly indexed then this app is useless.
2. The sort by author option sorts by the authors first name. Seriously? Sort needs to be last name then first name. This isn't technically difficult to do, it just reflects poorly on either the programmers or QA.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Mar 03, 2014
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 35.2 MB
- Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Deseret Book Digital
- © 2011 Deseret Book Company
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.