By Kitestack Software
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
** No more chaos on your desktop. Keep related files on in groups. **
Lifehacker verdict: “If you've got a messy desk, this app can help you regain control.”
The app lets you create groups of related files on your desktop. You can freely move groups of files around on your desktop and add or remove files via drag & drop.
Each group has a title so that you can organize your files any way you like. For example, you could create separate groups for each project you are working on, or add separate groups for photos and text documents. If you frequently take screenshots, that would be another good fit for a group. The possibilities are endless.
Quick Look integration: press Space or ⌘Y to open a Quick Look preview of the selected file.
• Group related files on your desktop
• Add/remove files via drag & drop
• Freely move groups around
• Resize groups by dragging either edge/corner
• Rename by double-clicking on the group title
• Context menu with more options
• Dock or menu bar icon (choose via Preferences)
• Additional list view with file names to the right of icons
• Adjust opacity of title and group background
• Change the background color
• Hide the reflections
• Adjust the grid size
Very active development! Let us know what features you would like.
What's New in Version 1.5.2
Addresses a problem where the app could become unresponsive when there are a hundreds or thousands of files in a group.
My desktop was always a mess, even when I used Windows. On that platform I used a program called Fances to organize folders and files into groups, and missed it when I changed over to Mac (best decision ever, BTW). Then I found Rico’s Desktop Groups program. It was featured on Lifehacker. What a lifesaver (OK… not literally, but you get the point).
The last version introduced a bug where the app would not finish loading after a restart. I worked with Rico to test a fix (which is this version). He is responsive to problems, and a great guy to work with.
If you need to get your cluttered desktop organized this is a great program to do it with! If you don’t like the Groups way of organizing, you can check out his other program Desktop Shelves on the App Store.
Best App Ever
Been using desktop computers since there have been desktop computers. If I had a choice of one single app of all apps that I’d be allowed to take back in time for use on all my past computers, this would be that app.
This app does exactly what the literature says it will do, and it does it very very well. I’m amazed! The software engineering team that put this app together are my heroes. If I were Apple, I’d pay whatever it takes to buy up Kitestack Software and put them firmly under the Apple umbrella.
It’s good but could be great
So far it’s close to what I use on my Windows’ PCs, Fences, as stated by other users.
My current issues are:
- In MissionControl (or TotalSpaces2) the desktop groups do not actually minimize like the open applications and folders do, thus blocking the view
- Currently, you have to create a separate folder for the Desktop Groups to actually reside in VS them actually being on the desktop
- Cannot set the desktop groups to actually show other folders on the drives, only the ones in the Desktop Groups folder
I’m giving it 3 stars out of 5 until these issues are resolved if it’s possible. It’s almost there!
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Nov 21, 2013
- Version: 1.5.2
- Size: 7.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Rico Gundermann
- © Kitestack Software
Compatibility: OS X 10.7.3 or later, 64-bit processor