By Kitestack Software
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
DesktopShelves helps you fight the clutter on your desktop by organizing files on shelves. A shelf the size of 5 icons holds 20 files.
"Thank you for a solid product, that I believe has the potential to be a STANDARD for every Mac owner!!" —Dom
"Very handy way to tidy up the desktop." —Michael
"DesktopShelves is such a great and ingenious application." —Regina
The app takes a refreshing approach to organizing files. It focuses on saving space on your screen while allowing you to always quickly access your files (via hotkey).
Everything is drag and drop. You can even drop text selections on a shelf and a new file is created automatically. Right-click and drag a file away from a shelf to insert its contents into another application such as Mail (great for keeping a "shelf" with frequently used mail templates, for example).
• Finder integration: Open any folder as a shelf on the desktop right from the Finder context menu (requires restart to activate first time).
• Choose from different shelf designs or create your own: The designs make your desktop unique and help you to tell your shelves apart. Design your own or download additional designs from the web.
• Drop a text selection on a shelf and get a new file: Found something on the web that you'd like to remember? Select it, drag and drop it on a shelf, done.
• Works great with text snippets: Right-click and drag a file away from a shelf to paste its text contents into other applications such as Mail, TextEdit, etc. (works for plain and rich text files).
• Access your shelves with a hotkey: Bring your shelves on top of all other windows to quickly access your files.
• Drag & drop everywhere: Drop files from the desktop or Finder onto shelves or the other way around from your shelves into other applications.
What's New in Version 2.1.4
- Addressed issue with Dashboard closing right away on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- Addressed issue with shelves overlapping Notification Center (disable the setting "Show shelves during Mission Control")
Great app for photos
I use this all the time for soft proofing my pics from LightRoom, and it works fantastic for getting pics in one place instead of messing up my desktop. Save time, and time is $$$, so it has paid for itself many times over.
I need to spend some reading all the other tricks it has, but even though it use it for only one trick, it’s well worth the humble price it costs. Get it, and you’ll see what I mean ! It just gets better and better with each update too !
The war against clutter...
I despise clutter—physical, virtual, & subatomic. It stresses me out. This app does exactly what it promised to do. There are numerous shelf styles + sizes to choose from, and the ability to choose the desired folder by clicking on the shelf itself. My 13” mid 2011 MacBook Air and I salute you oh honorable developer.
Useful AND attractive
Great for multi-task project: instead of being hidden inside a folder, you can see all components of a task. Yet, everything still stays together and doesn’t get lost in a messy desktop. It helps tame a cluttered, messy desktop.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Nov 11, 2013
- Version: 2.1.4
- Size: 3.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Rico Gundermann
- © 2014 Kitestack Software
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later