From critically acclaimed storytelling to powerful photography to engaging videos — the Detroit Free Press app delivers the local news that matters most to your community.
• Access all of our in-depth journalism, including things to do around town, sports coverage from high school to the pros, and much more.
• Enjoy a streamlined, fast-loading experience that makes it easy to view the stories, photos, and videos that matter to you.
• Get breaking news, sports scores, and weather alerts with real-time notifications tailored to your interests.
• Customize your experience by saving your favorite stories, adjusting text size, using night mode, or reading offline.
AD-FREE SUBSCRIPTION OPTION:
- Subscribe today and experience great storytelling with no ads. Purchase an ad free subscription for $2.99/month with a 2 week free trial.
- Subscriptions are charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and automatically renew each month or year, unless turned off in your iTunes account settings at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage your subscriptions and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription, where applicable. See 'Subscription Support' in the app's Settings for more details and customer service contact information.
• Terms of Service: http://static.freep.com/terms/
• Questions or Comments: email@example.com
• New in-app alerts let you know when there's a story we don't want you to miss: Look for the blue alerts bar within the app, similar to our existing Breaking News alerts (in red).
• As usual, we're always adding performance improvements and removing bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
Great mobile newspaper app!
I normally will not read newspapers on line, but the Free Press app is really easy to read and find what section you want. This is the best newspaper app that I have and I definitely will keep reading it!
My complaint I'm now having is that the advice column is terrible - sometimes there aren't any new questions for days - my Oakland Press has new ones daily in Dear Abby....sigh!
Line Dancing Grandma
The advice columns aren't any better....they disappear for days - what happens?.
I just changed the number of review stars to one...why, because again and again columns are disappearing, especially the advice columns!! I will close the app if this doesn’t clear up. This has gone on for days - I have been a Free Press reader for years and really like this app since we go to Florida.
This app is getting worse and worse! Is there a reason why certain sections are not updated daily! I will no longer recommend this app to my snowbird friends from the Detroit area - please do not ask me to rate this app again unless you’ve fixed this problem!
New Clickbait Headline Style Stinks
The new way the headlines are being written is awful. It makes it sound like a bot trying to garner clicks instead of an actual newspaper headline. This isn’t BuzzFeed, they should write like it.
The app is fine in general to use. I wish the night mode wasn’t buried so deep in the UI or could be put on a timer with the sun. It’s easy to change the font size which I did once ever, but annoying to change to dark mode every night and back in the morning.
I love everything about this app....except for one strange issue. I can go to any sport and get up-to-date news with one exception. When I click on Lions it’s stuck on the news from Nov. 29th. Tate is saying the Lions have to win the rest to make the playoffs.
I have deleted the app and reinstalled it, but it still sticks on Nov. 29th. How can this be fixed?
- 234.9 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2019 Gannett Co., Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Ad-Free Monthly $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.