By DEVONtechnologies, LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Be more productive by letting DEVONsphere Express keep track of related emails, articles on the same subject, or similar web pages. Discover the hidden connection between seemingly unrelated files.
- Find other items related to what you're working on
- Search like with Spotlight on steroids
- Context-aware, always focuses on what you do
- Runs as a menu extra, always available
GET A CREATIVITY BOOST
DEVONsphere Express finds connections between items you haven't thought of. Let yourself getting inspired, follow yet untrodden paths, and create something new.
Whatever document you are currently working on, e.g. in Pages, TextEdit, or DEVONthink Pro, what email you are currently reading, which web page you are looking at, or what song you are listening to: click DEVONsphere Express' icon to see what other items on your computer or on the web are related. Explore further using thumbnails, Quick Look, or by opening them in their parent apps.
Drag selected text or files from the Finder to DEVONsphere Express to manually focus its attention to what interests you most, or use OS X's convenient Services menu.
SEARCH WITH CONFIDENCE
DEVONsphere Express find precisely the files or other items you're looking for on your computer. If it's there, you'll know where in no time.
Switch DEVONsphere Express to search mode and use advanced Boolean operators (as known from high-end databases, DEVONthink, or DEVONagent), wildcards, and parentheses to narrow your search. Easily navigate the results, view thumbnails, get large Quick Look previews, or open them in any app that can open them.
PICK THE GEMS
Your computer and the web is full of gems. They're just hidden in heaps of stones. DEVONsphere Express only shows you what matters and filters the rest.
Adjust DEVONsphere Express' preferences so that it only searches the categories that are important to you and indexes the locations you want. Change filter settings on demand—all adjustments are applied instantly—so that you don't waste your valuable time with the less important stuff.
MAKE YOUR COMPUTER SMARTER
DEVONsphere Express saves you time and makes you more productive without forcing you to change your work style. It adapts to you!
DEVONsphere Express extends you computer's abilities with its unique artificial intelligence (AI) and makes it available to your apps without e.g. forcing you to store your data in a separate database like DEVONthink does. It's always available from the menu bar or via Services and works with almost all your apps.
Customize DEVONsphere Express to your needs so that it doesn't throw data irrelevant to you in your way.
What's New in Version 1.5
This update brings support for Apple Messages, improves web search, enhances the performance, and fixes bugs.
- NEW: Support for Apple Messages.
- NEW: Preferences option General > General > Search while typing (on by default).
- Improved: Support for iChat.
- Improved: Web search.
- Improved: Sorting by dates groups items without a date in the new category Undated.
- Improved: Smoother opening as a launch item.
- Improved: Action menu items Update See Also Automatically and Hide Menu Automatically removed as these options are accessible via buttons and the Preferences.
- Fixed: Some problematic third-party Spotlight mdimporter plugins are ignored.
- Fixed: Date of results was not always displayed.
- Fixed: Folder "~/Library/Mail Downloads" couldn't be indexed.
- Fixed: Search engines could return too many results in rare cases.
- Fixed: Not all results for items stored in DEVONthink Pro (Office) databases were listed.
Bogs computer too much to leave running
When left running, the CPU on my machine revs up enough to cause the fan to kick in. Which means I turn it off. Which means i can't use it to search....
So it's not of too much use to me.
Great first step (but not that much of an improvement since its debut)
It is slowly improving in terms of performance. But it is still slow. I do not recommend the "Search while typing" feature since it slows the app to the point of unusable.
Having said that, the search engine is impressive. I found stuff online and on my own documents that I would have never found using spotlight or Google (well, it would have taken me ages to find). The advanced boolean operators (NEAR/, NEXT/, etc) are fantastic. Once you try them you will start wondering why Google, Science Direct, etc do not implement them too.
I am a more or less happy DevonThink and DevnAgent user. However, I always debated if using DT database for large collections made sense . DT IS A RESOURCE HOG and I am tired of re-building corrupted databases. So, I now renamed my files using a particular naming convention and defaulted to "Finder + Spotlight".
I installed DS Express a few days ago. I let the indexing run overnight so it would not disrupt my work. A few things to highlight:
1) Yes, when the indexing is running the systems becomes extremely slow. They should improve memory usage. For now at least, I selected "Manual" in the indexing options (I still do that in version 1.5).
2) Not including OpenMeta search capabilities is a poor decision. I hope it is added to an update shortly (still a wish in version 1.5).
3) The search engine is PHENOMENAL. Once you start using the advanced boolean operators you will see what I mean. DSE finds everything. Your results are filtered by relevance (BTW, you can change the degree of relevance). I stopped using Spotlight for this very reason.
4) It looks to me that I can get the best of DT w/o having to load DT, which is a great think.
I really hope DevonTechnologies makes the app more resource-efficient in the next update (not much of an improvement yet in v1.5).
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jun 21, 2012
- Version: 1.5
- Size: 6.2 MB
- Languages: English, French, German
- Seller: DEVONtechnologies, LLC
- © 2012 DEVONtechnologies LLC
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later