Dictapad is a transcription app for the iPhone and iPad. It assists in the transcription of lectures, interviews, depositions or any long audio file by playing back at an adjustable rate while you type.
Best experienced with the iPad Smart Keyboard or a Bluetooth keyboard.
Dictapad offers handy keyboard shortcuts that allow you to scrub through your audio, adjust playback rate and insert timestamps — all without ever lifting your hands from the keyboard. In addition, on-screen buttons allow for easy control of playback if you are using the on-screen keyboard.
You can get your audio into Dictapad in several ways. You can:
• Browse your Dropbox files from within Dictapad
• AirDrop audio files from your Mac or iPhone
• Bring audio files in from other apps, like Voice Notes or Mail
• Use audio files from your iTunes library
• Copy files into Dictapad's folder in iTunes File Sharing
Once you're done transcribing, Dictapad allows export to your other iPad apps that accept text files, like DropBox, Pages, Notes or any iPad text editor. You can also print directly from Dictapad using AirPrint.
If you experience any issues with Dictapad, please get in touch at email@example.com; we can usually respond within a couple of days.
Five-star reviews for Dictapad:
“I conduct a lot of interviews that need to be transcribed, and this is by far the best tool for doing so. I've never had a problem with it - it just works.”
“With this app, I’ve come close to transcribing audio at 3/4 speed without stopping, where my old method… could take 2-4 minutes per minute of audio.”
“I have been using it for more than three years and I am very happy with this app.”
“For the price, this app is a no-brainer.”
Dictapad 2.30 features improved screen layout on the new bezel-less iPad Pro (3rd gen).
What’s new in version 2:
After five years on the App Store, Dictapad is going 2.0! It’s the same great Dictapad, rewritten from the ground up for for modern devices. First and foremost, Dictapad is now a universal app, which means you can transcribe on the go on your iPhone or iPod Touch. You can transcribe using the on-screen keyboard, or a Bluetooth keyboard paired to your device. Other highlights include:
• Support for modern iOS keyboard shortcuts
• Transcription of audio tracks from video files
• Higher quality time stretching, and the option to speed up playback
• A “Transcribe in Dictapad” action for easy import from iOS Voice Notes and other apps
• Split-screen and slide-over mode on supported devices
• Improved on-screen scrubbing controls
• Improved file management tools
• Improved VoiceOver accessibility
• A new “Snap back on pause” option can move the play head back when you pause, so you don't miss a thing.
• “Seek Forward” and “Seek Back” times can now be set independently in the Settings menu.
• A new “Manage…” button is accessible by swiping left on documents in the list:
- The “Manage” screen allows you to rename documents.
- You can also assign color coded tags to help keep your documents organized.
• You can customize the names and order of your tags in the “Manage Tags” screen in Settings. (i.e.: make yellow “In Progress” and green “Completed”)
• Tapping the “All Documents” header in the document list allows you to filter documents by tag.
Ratings and Reviews
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.