By Farlex, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Free Dictionary PRO gives you the power of the world's most comprehensive dictionary with or without Internet! English, Spanish, and 12 other dictionaries, all available online or offline and without ads. Even translate English into more than 40 languages without a connection. Plus all the content of the classic app, including multiple encyclopedias, specialty dictionaries, and thesauri, all from the most trusted sources. Play word games, read daily articles, even share your favorite words via social networks, email, and text.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the paid reference category in 34 countries in 2011, 2012, and 2013 (Source: http://www.appannie.com/app/ios/492085918/ranking/#device=ipad&view=ranks)
Features only available in TheFreeDictionary PRO:
* No advertisements.
* Expanded offline content, including a comprehensive offline English dictionary.
* Ability to download extensive offline dictionaries for 13 other languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, Arabic, Polish, Turkish, and Russian.
* Ability to download offline translations of English into more than 40 languages: Afrikaans, Arabic, Breton, Bulgarian, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Farsi, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Pashto, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, and Vietnamese.
* Dozens of other offline translation options.
NOTE: Offline content must be downloaded separately using an Internet connection before offline mode can be accessed.
Plus TheFreeDictionary's classic app content:
* Multiple English dictionaries, featuring extensive definitions, pronunciations, usage sentences, etymologies, and more.
* Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with," and "In definition."
* Multiple thesauri, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, even images.
* Multiple encyclopedias, including Britannica, Columbia, Collins, even Wikipedia.
* Multiple specialty dictionaries, including Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Acronyms and Abbreviations, and more.
* Online dictionaries in 13 other languages.
* Translate English words into more than 40 languages, plus dozens of other translation options.
* Play multiple audio pronunciations in the online dictionaries.
* Look up any word on the page by highlighting it and tapping "Definition."
* Create unlimited bookmarks.
* Learn something new every day with fresh daily content: Word of the Day, This Day in History, Quote of the Day, Today's Birthday and more. Even set notifications for daily delivery.
* Play games: Spelling Bee, Match Up, Words Within Words, plus Hangman in a dozen different languages.
* Customize your homepage: add or remove articles, games, even local weather and personalized horoscope.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Share your favorite words via Facebook, Twitter, email and text (with supported operating systems). Even share daily homepage items.
* Adjust font size.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app has the ability to be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions on accessing TFD).
dictionary,free dictionary,online dictionary,dictionary definitions,medical dictionary,spanish dictionary,english dictionary,french dictionary,legal dictionary,tfd,farlex,thefreedictionary,thesaurus,financial dictionary,acronyms,abbreviations,idioms,idiom dictionary,encyclopedia,encyclopaedia,german dictionary,italian dictionary,arabic dictionary,chinese dictionary,polish dictionary,portuguese dictionary,dutch dictionary,norwegian dictionary,russian dictionary,turkish dictionary,freedictionary,free encyclopedia
What's New in Version 3.5.1
* Full iOS 7 support and optimization, including comprehensive bug fixes
* Offline translations fix
* Improved one click look-up: Just highlight any word and tap "Definition" to look it up
More Than a Dictionary
It's also an encyclopedia and a thesaurus. With a comprehensive bank of languages and usages, you will learn more far more than expected about any word or term you look up. Each day the homepage has a new set of fascinating things. You may already know the word of the day, but maybe not the article of the day or the quote of the day or the significance of this day in history. A fun and practical app for all ages.
Great but not perfect (yet)
Use this app all the time and love it. One complaint is that it is not intuitive: just like a hard copy dictionary, if you don't know how the word is spelt, it is difficult to find. I often hear a spoken word and have to run it through Google first, because it offers you more intelligent suggestions as to the word you are trying to find, than this App.
User friendly and a MUST have!!!
I have thoroughly enjoyed the pleasure of searching the meaning of many a word at the touch of a button, the ease with which the words are displayed and in various language options has made my reading all that more enjoyable, secretly I'm hoarding a treasure trove of invaluable words giving me the extra edge in scrabble! ! Thank you.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 17, 2013
- Version: 3.5.1
- Size: 1.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2013 Farlex, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.