Dictionary Pro - Offline & Ad-Free Dictionary and Thesaurus
By Farlex, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Dictionary Pro is the popular app by The Free Dictionary with 2 big upgrades: More offline content and no ads! Here's what you get with Pro:
100% ad-free content
Expanded offline English dictionary
Offline translations from English to 40+ languages
14 offline dictionaries, including:
Dictionary Pro makes it easy to access offline content: just switch to offline mode in the menu, download only the offline content you want, and use it anytime.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the paid reference category in 85 countries 2011–2015 (Source: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/492085918/app-ranking/#device=iphone&type=best-ranks)
Also included—The Free Dictionary's classic app content:
* 1.3 million definitions from the most trusted sources, including Webster's Dictionary, Roget's Thesaurus, The American Heritage Dictionary, and more than 100 dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
* Extensive definitions, example sentences, etymologies, illustrations, and more.
* Browse multiple Thesaurus sources, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, and images.
* Learn something new every day with Word of the Day and other daily articles.
* Check your spelling, improve your vocabulary, and learn common misspellings.
* Listen to 280,000+ audio pronunciations, including both American and British pronunciations.
* Search specialty dictionaries, including:
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Access multiple encyclopedias, including Columbia, Collins, even Wikipedia.
* Search online dictionaries in Spanish, French, and 12 other languages.
* Translate English words into more than 40 languages, plus dozens of other translation options.
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to all your devices.
* Use native voice search to look up a word just by saying it. (With supported devices)
* See search suggestions as you type and always find what you're looking for.
* Play word games, including Spelling Bee, Match Up, WordHub, and Words Within Words, plus Hangman in a dozen different languages.
* Track your learning and earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by looking up words and playing word games!
* Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with," and "In definition."
* Standard and IPA pronunciation keys.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Look up any word on the page by highlighting it and tapping "Definition."
* Search for words on the page.
* Customize your homepage: add or remove articles, games, even horoscope and local weather in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, and text.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
How do we do it?
Farlex is a leader in dictionary apps. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in the App Store.
What's New in Version 5.1
* Bug fixes, including zooming issue on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
* If you like The Free Dictionary app, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! We read every single review we receive, but unfortunately the App Store does not give us the ability to respond. If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd.com. You'll be amazed how quickly we reply!
The Free Dictionary is an app with true style!. Not only is it beautiful to look at, it's well thought out and very user friendly. The developers truly put some thought into this one! It's truly not just a dictionary. The quotes, articles, word games, even horoscope, all make it fun!. If you are like me, you know you need help in spelling and your vocabulary but you just can't seem to take the time or want to make the effort. This app will change all of that! I truly use it everyday!. And the articles, games, etc those too I use everyday. I have had both the free and the Pro versions. I travel a lot so am often without internet or unable to communicate in a foreign language. The Pro app takes care of that!. Thank you Developers for an amazing app!. There is a good reason this app has mainly five stars!. You will not be sorry with this amazing app!
Your dictionary has both great breadth and depth. It includes words other dictionaries (nameless because they, too, are trying) do not list. Some of these words might be considered too new, or too casual, for others to list. Nonetheless, in my view, and apparently in yours, they deserve a legitimate place in the lexicon, for many persons, places, and qualities are not quite the thing and are most accurately described, not by drawing-room palaver, but by backstairs phrases that border on the louche.
As for depth, your dictionary offers more examples of usage, and, for that matter, near usage, (without additional cost) than any of the other dictionaries I routinely use.
Finally, your quizzes and historical tidbits are great fun, especially on rainy holidays as well as, occasionally, on those times when I should be hard at work attending to business.
Best dictionary ever. But it's not just the dictionary....
I love the dictionary so much because there's so many definitions from different dictionaries. There's also a stellar homepage with Quotes of the Day (always really good & from reputable people), The Word of the Day (which is normally a word that can actually be used in an essay or real life), Article of the Day (always interesting and pertinent information to today's world), etc. You can even get notifications for the Word of the Day or Quote of the Day or whatever. What I don't like is that you can't get notifications for both the Quote of the Day and the Word of the Day, for example. That is to say, you can only get notifications for one item.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 06, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 8.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2015 Farlex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.