By Farlex, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Free Dictionary PRO gives you the power of the world's most comprehensive dictionary and thesaurus, plus offline mode and no ads! English, Spanish, and 12 other dictionaries, all available online or offline and without ads. Even translate English into more than 40 languages without a connection. Plus all the content of the classic app, including multiple encyclopedias, specialty dictionaries, and thesaurus sources, all from the most trusted publishers. Play word games, read daily articles, even share your favorite words via social networks, email, and text.
You can now log in with The Free Dictionary! Sync your bookmarks to all your devices and never lose them. Plus: Track your learning with neurons and badges and earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by reading and playing games!
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the paid reference category in 81 countries 2011–2015 (Source: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/492085918/app-ranking/#device=iphone&type=best-ranks)
Features only available in TheFreeDictionary PRO:
* No advertisements.
* Expanded offline content, including a comprehensive offline English dictionary.
* Ability to download extensive offline dictionaries for 13 other languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, Arabic, Polish, Turkish, and Russian.
* Ability to download offline translations of English into more than 40 languages.
* Dozens of other offline translation options.
NOTE: Offline content must be downloaded separately using an Internet connection before offline mode can be accessed.
Plus TheFreeDictionary's classic app content:
* Multiple English dictionaries, featuring extensive definitions, pronunciations, usage sentences, etymologies, and more.
* Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with," and "In definition."
* Multiple thesaurus sources, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, even images.
* Multiple encyclopedias, including Columbia, Collins, even Wikipedia.
* Multiple specialty dictionaries, including Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Acronyms and Abbreviations, and more.
* Online dictionaries in 13 other languages.
* Choose which sources to include in your search results.
* Translate English words into more than 40 languages, plus dozens of other translation options.
* Play multiple audio pronunciations in online dictionaries.
* Look up any word on the page by highlighting it and tapping "Definition."
* Create unlimited bookmarks.
* Learn something new every day with fresh daily content: Word of the Day, This Day in History, Quote of the Day, Today's Birthday and more. Even set notifications for daily delivery.
* Play games: Spelling Bee, Match Up, Words Within Words, plus Hangman in a dozen different languages.
* Customize your homepage: add or remove articles, games, even local weather and personalized horoscope.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Share your favorite words via Facebook, Twitter, email and text (with supported operating systems). Even share daily homepage items.
* Adjust font size.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app has the ability to be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions on accessing TFD).
What's New in Version 4.5
* Optimized for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
* Bug fixes, including notifications, homepage sharing, and offline shortcut buttons.
* If you like The Free Dictionary Pro, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! We read every single review we receive, but unfortunately the App Store does not give us the ability to respond. If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd.com. How quickly we reply may surprise you!
One of my all-time favorite apps
While I have several other dictionary apps on my iPhone, this is — hands down — THE most enjoyable of them all! The featured word of the day is often one with which I'm familiar but there seem to be enough new terms to keep me interested. What really occupies my time are the featured topics with links that prove to be huge "time sinks". I find myself spending way too much of my evening chasing down details of engrossing subjects (people, events, significant dates, trivial tangents, you name it, the editors come up with all variety of fun and engaging tidbits). The matching word game towards the end of each day's entry is just challenging enough to make me think, even though I usually get a perfect 5 out of 5. So at the conclusion of each day's offering, I feel I'm "above average." It's a nice way to spend time before I turn off the light and go to sleep, with new ideas, a better vocabulary and a boost to my ego.
If you like words and their power, then this is for you. Great way to check and improve your vocabulary. Strange word when reading, just an ap away to find its definition. Nice daily games and other interesting information.
There are two small problems. One, the weather connection for Boston does not exist so no local weather is offered daily. A surprise, since Boston does have weather and several reporting places. The second is the failure of some articles to fit completely on the screen. Text disappears at the edges, and, at times, it is very hard to scroll through the article. All in all a great ap. One every person and student should have on a cell phone.
Very useful and complete dictionary. It is easy to use: just start to type in the word you are looking for, and possible choices are displayed, of which you can touch one and its meaning is displayed.
I've found that it is best to download the dictionary and the translation(s) you need to your gadget. Especially if you will be in places where Internet connectivity will be sketchy- and there are lots of those. Then you are sure you will have what you need when you need it.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 13, 2015
- Version: 4.5
- Size: 8.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2015 Farlex, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.