By Dictionary.com, LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming and Slang Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 7.4.5
A Powerful Tool
UPDATE: this app has become an ad-monster of absurd and embarrassing proportions. Never thought I'd see a dictionary sell its soul to advertisers so panderingly. (Is that a word? I don't know, can't look it up on this app anymore.) POP-UPS? Are you kidding me?
Old 5-Star Review:
This app, in a sense, has changed my life. In life, people are surrounded by what is called "social capital". If you are raised in an educated family, the extent of intellectual conversation, literature, and thus vocabulary you are exposed to is incredibly high, and this is a critical advantage to one's life journey. Being raised in a blue collar family as a scholar, I had some catching up to do to operate at my highest level in academia and in the work that I pursue.
Traditional dictionaries are loathsome creatures, tombs of older days. It was cumbersome, to say the least, to search a word you did not recognize when in the middle of a pithy passage from some mind-expanding book. Because of the ease of this app, I have a basic rule for myself: I can never pass up a word I do not know. This app makes that possible.
Is the app perfect? What is, really... But it improves all the time. The "word of the day" push feature is my mental intrigue for the morning, which literally gives me the dose of curiosity that I require, allowing me to shake my slumber grog and embrace a new day, and often a new word, with a little self growth.
Cheers, dictionary app!
RIDICULOUS WITH THE ADS
While I normally enjoy the utility of the free app, the ads are just outright RIDICULOUS. What would have been a 4 star review is now 2 stars because I will never use this app at work again.
I work in an office and keep my phone on silent. I used the app to find a synonym, and as I switched from dictionary to thesaurus, an incredibly loud and obnoxious ad for a game started playing, bubble popping sounds and all. Other apps that have ads in them routinely silence the sound if my phone itself is on silent.
I don’t know what’s more embarrassing, that my boss and my colleagues think I’m playing bubble popping kids’ games at my desk, or attempting to explain to my boss that I was just using a dictionary app before childish music filled the quiet office.
This needs to be fixed. Until then, I will not use the app while at work, which really takes away a lot of its utility.
I get that it’s a free app, but I can deal with the ads if they don’t force the volume to override my decision to silence my phone. I shouldn’t have to pay for the full version just to avoid the potential embarrassment of an obnoxious ad blaring through my phone.
Baby Boomer Gold
While many use this for school, from K to Infinity, I cannot express the frustration of not being able to recall the words you’ve flawlessly used for over 60 years. The Thesaurus is my golden crutch many, many times a day. I could not write a coherent and intelligent sounding document without it. My co-workers have finally figured out why I write better than I sound when I have to stop and search my brain for words that are obviously misfiled never to be found, but when I write a contract or letter, I’m the genius in the room with this app.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 13, 2017
- Version: 7.4.5
- Size: 109 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$3.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Offline Database + No Ads Bundle $2.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99