Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, slideshows & the blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Example sentences
• Word origin & history
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Medical Dictionary with over 35,000 medical words & definitions available as a premium upgrade
• Science Dictionary with over 23,000 science definitions & illustrations available as a premium upgrade
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• Modern, up-to-date English definitions & content
• Customizable font sizes for better readability
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
Tip: To turn Word of the Day notifications on or off, go to Settings > Notifications > Dictionary and toggle On or Off.
What's New in Version 4.5
-FREE advanced Learner’s Dictionary provides additional content for English learners, or anyone looking for more context.
-In order to save room on your device, the Offline Dictionary is now optional. Download the Offline Dictionary from the Settings screen.
-Siri is now able to read the definitions out loud.
-Various improvements and bug fixes.
I have used this app for a long time and it has always helped me in school. I love how I could used it without internet access. I am not fond of the new update for the reason that it has become slower. I have internet access now and all of those accidentally pressed options in the menu get so annoying. I love how I can search a word and many family members of the same words appear, but what I hate is when it gives me a definition that requires me to go to the main state of the word and reread the definition. Also I don't always know the correct spelling of the word and sometimes the app is of no use and I have to google the word for a spellcheck. Sometimes I think google is a better dictionary because some definitions of words just confuse me more.
Good stuff, but...
I like this app and use it a lot, especially the translator. Each revision keeps getting better 'n better. However, I had purchased the premium edition quite some time ago, yet with each subsequent update my features started disappearing and now I am back to seeing Ads. What's up with that?!
This app is very handy to have on your phone. The latest update now has spoken sentences, which is very helpful. Definitely recommended.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 18, 2014
- Version: 4.5
- Size: 14.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade$1.99