Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, slideshows & our blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
• Word origin & history
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• 850,000 Example Sentences (available for purchase, or included in our Premium app)
• Medical Dictionary (available for purchase, or included in our Premium app)
• Science Dictionary (available for purchase, or included in our Premium app)
• Encyclopedia, Rhymes, Idioms and Slang content (available for purchase, or included in our Premium app)
Note: All above additional content in app purchases are now available for one low price in our Premium app!
Tip: To turn Word of the Day notifications on or off, go to Settings > Notifications > Dictionary and toggle On or Off.
What's New in Version 5.1.1
Fixed bug with Inbox messages
Miscellaneous bug fixes
Costs Continue on This App...
I purchased everything that was available on the dictionary but there is always more to purchase on voice functions and increased expansions of example sentences. I would give the app 5 stars if I didn't have to keep purchasing additional voice and microphone prompts to be able to use something that should be enabled as part of the original dictionary purchase.
My go to dictionary, BUT...
I love this app, and I use it often. I'm also aware of the developers' need to advertise, however, as some before me have mentioned ... there's too much interference! The load time is bogged down by ads and distractions, and it's all too easy to accidentally tap one of them wherein you're redirected to an entirely different page! It's annoying. PLEASE, tone down the advertisements. A perfect five stars if it wasn't for this issue...
I've used it for years in my medical, math, and psych classes, and my business, and not once has there been a problem with this app. Every definition I've needed has been readily available, especially readable with audible pronunciations clearly understandable. The use of words in sentences are a big help in quickly understanding the word's meaning/s.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 05, 2015
- Version: 5.1.1
- Size: 24.0 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Science Dictionary Upgrade$1.99