Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, slideshows & the blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Example sentences
• Word origin & history
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Medical Dictionary with over 35,000 medical words & definitions available as a premium upgrade
• Science Dictionary with over 23,000 science definitions & illustrations available as a premium upgrade
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• Modern, up-to-date English definitions & content
• Customizable font sizes for better readability
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
Tip: To turn Word of the Day notifications on or off, go to Settings > Notifications > Dictionary and toggle On or Off.
What's New in Version 4.4.1
Fixed an issue with iCloud sync that was being experienced by some users. This issue was causing the app to hang on launch.
New in v4.4:
• Exciting new content: Idioms & Phrases, Grammar & Tips, Slang Dictionary, and a complete Encyclopedia (available as premium upgrades)
• New in-app message center: receive word trivia and other bonus Dictionary.com content
• Backup your Favorites to iCloud so you can save them as you update (iOS7+)
• Fixed an issue that was causing app to crash when using the Translator
Great tool at my finger tips
I do love this app. Nice quick way to get definitions and synonyms with the thesaurus component. Plus it is able to be used by other apps that have a define option in them. Like with my smartphone if I highlight a word one of the options is define. Last but not least the word of the day is kind of cool. I like it but sometimes I don't really want to look into that is no big deal. And I really think that is the beauty of it it won't keep bugging
Really glad I got this app. Find it very helpful and convenient. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because sometimes it defines words with the word. I am no scholar but I don't believe that is ever the correct way to define a word. With this said I still am a big fan of this app and would highly recommend it. One of my favorite features is the word of the day. I love to add to my vocabulary and it's a great and convenient way to do just that.
I'm a civil engineer and a able to do higher level math, apply advanced science and develop solutions for complex problems. I can write, speak and explain the same to just about anyone with distinctly brevity.
What I cannot do is spell - even words I have written a few thousand times. My mind has never worked that way.
So, enough about me - we'll almost - my opinion/ rating of this app.
For someone like me - tapping the (far to small) microphone to initialize the voice recognition routine - then tapping the ready prompt - saying a word and having it pop up is wonderful!
It almost forces me to wonder why they don't include add in apps for PB&J, cold-cuts, or at least how to build a better sandwich!
This app was useful when I first got it, but now it has become quite annoying. Not only is it very slow in its functions, which may be due to my own iphone, but now every single time I type in a word, in mid-type the app freezes and deletes whatever I just typed. I have no idea why but it does that every single time. Furthermore, occasionally it will even open the App Store automatically to advertise another thesaurus app, wasting even more time. Sometimes I get so frustrated, I get out my physical dictionary if it's available. The time it takes to flip through the pages is about the same amount anyway. I've really wanted to delete the app but I just can't because I need it. I'm sure there are better dictionary apps out there, I just haven't had time to look yet. Then again, maybe all the time this app has wasted for me would add up to enough time for me to bury it for good.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 18, 2013
- Version: 4.4.1
- Size: 57.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- The Writer's Toolbox$2.99