Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming and Slang Dictionaries
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 7.0.2
- Fixed crash that affected users on older versions of iOS
- Solved Word of the Day updating issue
Apps changed a lot
I used to use this for mpoints cause I love learning new words and had it linked to my reading/ writing app abd I used it ALL the time, thus learning abd getting ALOT of points from a great USEFUL app that I actually used in every day life, which I still do however this app has changed TONS and they just want you to buy more apps and upgrade this one which is "redic" for a dictionary app! And it's more about blogs and slide shows etc which I have not really looked at a lot since I use this as it is, or was, supposed to be, a dictionary, and I got points for it, which was a GREAT GREAT plus! But now I can't even find the mpoints link it pops up at times saying I got a few points though, so I guess that's good, just wish there was still a link!!!!! ALL other apps have the link (a little box to click on or something similar) AND wish this app was easier to use, more simple like it used to be... Anyway good dictionary, best one other than the one linked to my kindle, I guess ...
I am not a good speller and I speak Russian so having the words explained really helps.
I love how it's easy to use. Very easy to understand. The best part is the M points you get to earn when you use the app if you have other apps that have M points it gathers them from all other apps so you can get the points all together. I'm a medical assistant and the medical part of this app helps so much it translates the words for you even some words like LB - pounds. So it's so cool. When I was in collage out teacher told us the get this app and use it because it worked wonder and yes it did it saved lots of my home work assignments. But I truly advise you not to pay for the other app it takes away some things so I have two apps on mine and I use the free one more not as much the one I bought. Take care.
Look it up!
In the "olden days", if you asked your parent how to spell a word, or what a word meant, they'd say, "Go look it up in the Dictionary!" Ugh!! Then you'd go to this 50 lb. book almost everyone had somewhere in their house, and flip through tiny print to find it. It was a dreaded task. So, by comparison, this app is fast, excessive and doesn't have that dreaded element to it. If you look up words you come across in reading or double check words you use for writing, your bound to increase your knowledge base greatly. I like the daily words emailed to me, and scrolling through the trivia words is interesting, too. It is a great tool for kids to use when reading, and maybe when they ask you what a word means, looking it up won't come with the dread it did in the "olden days".
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 20, 2016
- Version: 7.0.2
- Size: 48.2 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade$1.99