Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, slideshows & our blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
• Word origin & history
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• 850,000 Example Sentences (available for purchase, or included in our Premium app)
• Medical Dictionary (available for purchase, or included in our Premium app)
• Science Dictionary (available for purchase, or included in our Premium app)
• Encyclopedia, Rhymes, Idioms and Slang content (available for purchase, or included in our Premium app)
Note: All above additional content in app purchases are now available for one low price in our Premium app!
Tip: To turn Word of the Day notifications on or off, go to Settings > Notifications > Dictionary and toggle On or Off.
What's New in Version 5.1.1
Fixed bug with Inbox messages
Miscellaneous bug fixes
Upgrades are ridiculous!
This app is okay... I like that I can use it to earn mPoints every day, and I still have an iPhone 5S so there's usually only one banner ad across the bottom which doesn't really bother me. What DOES bother me is the app continuously prompting me to purchase upgrades, especially since they are ridiculously overpriced!! I ended up purchasing the premium version that has all the upgrades included, but for some stupid reason that app doesn't have the mPoints feature so I end up switching back and forth between both apps. It's extremely annoying, and especially frustrating when the free app keeps prompting me to purchase the full version that I ALREADY PAID FOR. If the premium app just included the mPoints feature, I could avoid all of this aggravation.
Everyone, ignore this hive mind mentality going on.
This is a great app. I mainly use the Widget in my Notification Center. However, I'm curious about something. Is there anyway to, like, score points? That would be great!
Admittedly, I do not often use the actual app itself, but the widget is wonderful! It's really fun; I'll sit for hours playing. One problem? It's far too easy. You know, all it really needs are a few more words, like a bigger dictionary, maybe even difficulty levels… like for example... medical stuff for the widget! GRE/SAT/ACT test! Yeah! I get duplicates all the time. That really is the only annoying thing.
Thanks for a great app! Fix that widget and It'll be 111% better! Five stars either way though, thank you.
Disclaimer: all reviews are done via voice to text. Please forgive any possible mistakes that I may have missed. I do try to catch, and correct, each and every one; but it's often impossible. Thank you! Bye.
Adware at this point
This app used to be good, now it's so bogged down by ads it looks like the cheapest freemium app available. It's still not optimized for iPhone 6/6+ so the screen is blurry, every time you open it there's a pop up asking you to upgrade, forcing you to stop typing and hit close, and I count 3 ads being displayed at any one time. 3! One on top, one on bottom, and one on the side. That's a ridiculous amount of screen space devoted to ads for a tiny screen and a simple app. There are plenty of other free dictionaries available on iOS, I suggest you pass on this one with its annoying pop ups, blurry screen, and ads covering the whole screen, and keep looking.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 05, 2015
- Version: 5.1.1
- Size: 24.0 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Science Dictionary Upgrade$1.99