Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming and Slang Dictionaries
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 7.0.2
- Fixed crash that affected users on older versions of iOS
- Solved Word of the Day updating issue
I am not a good speller and I speak Russian so having the words explained really helps.
I love how it's easy to use. Very easy to understand. The best part is the M points you get to earn when you use the app if you have other apps that have M points it gathers them from all other apps so you can get the points all together. I'm a medical assistant and the medical part of this app helps so much it translates the words for you even some words like LB - pounds. So it's so cool. When I was in collage out teacher told us the get this app and use it because it worked wonder and yes it did it saved lots of my home work assignments. But I truly advise you not to pay for the other app it takes away some things so I have two apps on mine and I use the free one more not as much the one I bought. Take care.
Not so brilliant is this dictionary!
First and foremost, I believe a good dictionary should never use the word your looking up, in its definition of that word! Yet time and time again this app makes this horrific error in doing just that!
Further more I had paid for all the upgrades yet when I go to use any of them except the Thesaurus I am told time and time again that it can't find an example or information!
The only bright spot is that it puts out a list of all words possible as you are typing it out, so if you can't find the word you were typing then you spelled it wrong and you can go back one letter at a time until your word appears to learn how you missed spelled it, while still being able to find your word. And this is the only reason I am even keeping this app on my phone!
I love this new version!!
I didn't know the old version needed any updating until the new version popped up. WOW it is great!! Thanks for so many new improvements. I was trying to write a Christmas letter thanking people for their condolences after my mom passed this year, and I was able to write an eloquent letter with the help of the newest version of this app. Sometimes my brain freezes, but with help from this app, I was able to scroll through several suggestions in the thesaurus and find just the right words : )
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 20, 2016
- Version: 7.0.2
- Size: 48.2 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade$1.99