Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, slideshows & the blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Example sentences
• Word origin & history
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Medical Dictionary with over 35,000 medical words & definitions available as a premium upgrade
• Science Dictionary with over 23,000 science definitions & illustrations available as a premium upgrade
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• Modern, up-to-date English definitions & content
• Customizable font sizes for better readability
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
Tip: To turn Word of the Day notifications on or off, go to Settings > Notifications > Dictionary and toggle On or Off.
What's New in Version 4.4.1
Fixed an issue with iCloud sync that was being experienced by some users. This issue was causing the app to hang on launch.
New in v4.4:
• Exciting new content: Idioms & Phrases, Grammar & Tips, Slang Dictionary, and a complete Encyclopedia (available as premium upgrades)
• New in-app message center: receive word trivia and other bonus Dictionary.com content
• Backup your Favorites to iCloud so you can save them as you update (iOS7+)
• Fixed an issue that was causing app to crash when using the Translator
Great tool at my finger tips
I do love this app. Nice quick way to get definitions and synonyms with the thesaurus component. Plus it is able to be used by other apps that have a define option in them. Like with my smartphone if I highlight a word one of the options is define. Last but not least the word of the day is kind of cool. I like it but sometimes I don't really want to look into that is no big deal. And I really think that is the beauty of it it won't keep bugging
Really glad I got this app. Find it very helpful and convenient. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because sometimes it defines words with the word. I am no scholar but I don't believe that is ever the correct way to define a word. With this said I still am a big fan of this app and would highly recommend it. One of my favorite features is the word of the day. I love to add to my vocabulary and it's a great and convenient way to do just that.
Dependable, makes ME look good !!
1)Most definitely worth the purchase. What helps them - helps you !
2)I use this almost every day. A GREAT source of reference. Thank you ! ! !
3)Voice search helps when I can't spell the word. Still a great app ! !
4)If they ever have a DEAL on the SCIENCE & MEDICAL add-ins ( like both for $2.99 or better) I'm in !! Since I know I'll nd some 'vocal add-ins' soon, I could really use a deal. How about you?
5)Tried a few others, but this one is STILL the BEST !!' Haven't missed yet and easy to understand. At least get the 'voice' option. Helps " nun-e-ate " words that are beyond my comprehension.
Still 5 stars, too !!!
6) I still rate this at the TOP of my app list. I use it at least twice a day, for a definition or to pronounce a word I haven't heard before. GET THIS APP - and support them w/ a purchase of an option.
5 MORE Stars !!! lol
I'm a civil engineer and a able to do higher level math, apply advanced science and develop solutions for complex problems. I can write, speak and explain the same to just about anyone with distinctly brevity.
What I cannot do is spell - even words I have written a few thousand times. My mind has never worked that way.
So, enough about me - we'll almost - my opinion/ rating of this app.
For someone like me - tapping the (far to small) microphone to initialize the voice recognition routine - then tapping the ready prompt - saying a word and having it pop up is wonderful!
It almost forces me to wonder why they don't include add in apps for PB&J, cold-cuts, or at least how to build a better sandwich!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 18, 2013
- Version: 4.4.1
- Size: 57.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- The Writer's Toolbox$2.99