Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only free Dictionary app you will ever need. Works offline!
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 definitions and synonyms.
This app works offline – you do not need an internet connection.
Now get Word of the Day and more on your Apple Watch!
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word every day
- Audio pronunciation – hear every word
- Voice search – speak to search
- Translator – get translations for over 30 languages
- Blog – explore over 800 fun language topics
- Slideshows – fascinating facts about language
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary with Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin - find out interesting etymologies
- Favorite words and search history – never forget the words you learn
- Spelling suggestions – get help with how words are spelled
- Local lookups - see which words are being searched near you
- Advanced learner’s dictionary – special content for ESL, EFL and English learners
Want even more? You can add to your app with our in-app purchases:
- Slang Dictionary
- Idioms and Phrases
- Example Sentences
- Medical, Science and Rhyming Dictionaries
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 5.3.1
- More than a thousand new definitions including "esports", "slacktivism" and "dark web."
- Bug fixes
Great App and Easy to Use
This app does everything I need. It has definitions; provides an audio for correct pronunciation; lists the history and context of words to establish origin; and even puts them in sentences to reinforce their meaning. I especially enjoy the Word of the Day emails a they are always fun to read.
Whenever I do not know a word or if I want to insure I use it properly, this app is always utilized.
It is so easy to look up words, and shows words as you type which makes it easy if you aren't sure of the spelling. Audio is great.
Sometimes I don't find the sentences containing the word to be extremely helpful but with so much content, I barely can complain!
The author tried to pack way too many features into this. A dictionary app does not need a points and rewards system. In the main side bar menu there are at least 10 locations. A dictionary needs only a search bar and a way to switch to thesaurus. Also the constant reminders to upgrade to the paid version are really annoying. It is a decent app but a crappy dictionary.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 20, 2015
- Version: 5.3.1
- Size: 37.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2015 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Science Dictionary Upgrade$1.99