Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming and Slang Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 7.1.2
Great for writers and readers
I was considering paying upwards of 25 dollars for the Oxford English Dictionary app. While this app doesn't offer quite as an extensive look at a given words etymology, it does however, offer concise definitions at a rapid pace. I love how easily you can toggle between thesaurus and Dictionary- a tool I find invaluably useful when writing. It's easy to clear the search bar with the x to begin a new search. I find this app to be even better than the desktop webpage which I used frequently at university.
Nice features, but upgrade a little misleading.
I really enjoy using this app, but when I chose to "Power Upgrade" for $5.99 I didn't realize that "... unlock all our content..." did not actually mean ALL OUR CONTENT. The upgrade only includes example sentences, offline database, no ads, science, medical and rhyming dictionaries, which is still a lot of content. It does not include any other upgrades, which is fine, but it should be made clear that "all of our content" does not actually mean what it says.
Good dictionary though.
Using the word that you looked up as a synonym
I have used this app for many years now. I really like that I have a Dictionary handy at my disposal. But the complaint I have is when I use the thesaurus. Within the list of synonyms is the word that I have looked up. You cannot use, for example the word colonialism, as a synonym for colonialism. Please, fix this.
The meaning of the word synonym is a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word. Example: the synonyms for the word happy happy are joyful, elated, or glad etc.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 17, 2016
- Version: 7.1.2
- Size: 89.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade$1.99