Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only free Dictionary app you will ever need. Works offline!
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 definitions and synonyms.
This app works offline – you do not need an internet connection.
Now get Word of the Day and more on your Apple Watch!
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word every day
- Audio pronunciation – hear every word
- Voice search – speak to search
- Translator – get translations for over 30 languages
- Blog – explore over 800 fun language topics
- Slideshows – fascinating facts about language
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary with Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin - find out interesting etymologies
- Favorite words and search history – never forget the words you learn
- Spelling suggestions – get help with how words are spelled
- Local lookups - see which words are being searched near you
- Advanced learner’s dictionary – special content for ESL, EFL and English learners
Want even more? You can add to your app with our in-app purchases:
- Slang Dictionary
- Idioms and Phrases
- Example Sentences
- Medical, Science and Rhyming Dictionaries
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 5.2.1
- NEW Apple Watch features: Word of the Day, voice search and more
- Bug fixes
She's hot, but the conversations are brief
This is definitely the best overall dictionary app that I have come across. It has the bells and the whistles, and I enjoy the blogging. I love that you can click on just about any word and it will take you to the definition. But it does have its issues. The WOD's are interesting, but they are short and lack the etymological information provided by a Merriam Webster. And the example sentences can be a bit myopic in approach. I don't need twenty examples of the same sentence. The thesaurus is awesome for the most part. But some words that could have synonyms don't for some reason. The upgrade nonsense is a bit ridiculous. I purchased the encyclopedia, the example sentences, and the thesaurus, but it still gives me ads and is trying to get me to do the "new" upgrade. Not crazy about that.
The app is amazing, and it's worth it to purchase upgrades to broaden your knowledge on whatever it is may you search for. I believe the pop ups should be removed for the people who want to just explore the app free of charge, and that it's not fair to charge people to remove the pop ups. They get in the way of people who want to quickly search without the occasional accidental tap on a pop up. Just because the prices are cheap, doesn't mean that someone wants to spend their money.
Annoying upgrade pop-ups
What an annoying experience! I look up a word not all that often (maybe once a week), yet every time it seems there is an annoyance (pop-up to upgrade, etc.) that interrupts the what-should-be simple process of looking up a word definition.
Oh... and I have 14 "messages" and 186 "mPoints" in a dictionary app!? They've destroyed the simple concept of what a dictionary app should be. I actually have to scroll down the menu to access my "favorite" words.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 21, 2015
- Version: 5.2.1
- Size: 36.9 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2015 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Science Dictionary Upgrade$1.99