Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms and designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- New Content Collections Carousel includes fresh content from our Blog, Slideshows and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - find out where even the strangest words come from
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- Spelling suggestions - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local lookups - see which words are being searched near you
- Advanced learner’s dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming and Slang Dictionaries
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 6.0.2
- Added compatibility for iOS 9 and watchOS 2
- New support for video content
- Bug fixes
As I got older, I thought I would come to a time in my life that I would not need to use the dictionary anymore--because by now I would know all the words that I need to know in my readings and interpersonal communications, and could get by without the words that I don't know. WRONG!!!
It seems I need the dictionary more than ever, not only for when I see new words but also to help me recall definitions and the proper use of the ones I thought I already knew. I have learned there will always be new words to learn and understand. In this social media age, I grieve over the rapid demise of the English language. I am thankful for the Dictionary app and what it can do to counter this and revive the art of communication.
I highly recommend this product. On a scale of 1 - 5, I rate this app at a 5+! I use the basic version of DICTIONARY. It's EXCELLENT!
This app is very user friendly, especially for a "novice techie." I can easily scroll back to review previous words of the day. You can receive the word of the day alert. The app makes it so simple to access various aspects of the word that's being defined, e.g. it's definition, origin / etymology, synonyms, proper use in a sentence, etc. Additionally, I can bookmark any word. Likewise I'm able to send or copy a word.
Altogether the product is robust, uncomplicated & simple to use. My experience has been one of hassle free ease of use. Very satisfying. Because of my ongoing positive experience I plan on upgrading.
CONVENIENT BUT ANNOYING & GETTING WORSE
Look, all I want is to verify that I am using and spelling words correctly and, because I like playing with subtle differences between synonyms, I need a good thesaurus. This App is very good (not excellent) at providing those features. But the increasing amount of advertising, the shifty pop-ups, the badgering to "Upgrade," and the alleged enhacements significantly slow things down. Why would I want to watch a video when I am in the process of writing and merely wish to check a word or two? It's annoying to have the convenience and speed of an electronic at-your-fingers dictionary/thesarus undone by having to wade through ads and unhelpful announcements before getting to the information I want. If I timed it, I bet it usually takes the same amount of time that looking something up in a book takes.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 10, 2015
- Version: 6.0.2
- Size: 46.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2015 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade$1.99