Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus for iPad
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, slideshows & the blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Example sentences
• Word Origin & History
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Medical Dictionary with over 45,000 medical words & definitions available as a Premium Upgrade
• Science Dictionary with over 8,500 science definitions & illustrations available as a Premium Upgrade
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• Slang Dictionary with over 19,000 modern and fun definitions available as a Premium Upgrade
• Grammar & Tips available as a Premium Upgrade
• Idioms & Phrases with over 10,000 idioms available as a Premium Upgrade
• Modern, up-to-date English definitions & content
• Customizable font sizes for better readability
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
What's New in Version 4.0
Fun new Word of the Day Quiz widget - iOS 8
Optimized and enhanced for iOS 8
Improved translator feature
New Word of the Day images
General performance improvements
Pretty good. It could be better. I want to like it more.
I like the app for the most part.
What I like:
1) Good selection of words. There have been words I can't find that I think it should have, but it's pretty good overall.
2) Pronounces words.
What I don't like:
1) You can't transfer upgrades between different devices. I bought the examples upgrade on my iPod, but it didn't transfer to my iPad. I would have to buy that separate for the iPad.
2) Too many ads
3) Doesn't correct for spelling or give alternatives. Spelling is difficult when going from spoken to written English, so it would be nice to have the program give suggestions when you've typed something that doesn't absolutely match it - you just get no results if it's not an exact match.
4) resource intensive. I suspect it is loading way too many things. It's slow on my iPod and often crashes.
5) unhelpful word use examples. The example sentences are often unhelpful.
1)If you type an idiom or phrase and it shows a result, it should take you directly to that specific phrase. Currently it takes you to the root word, but you have to scroll through the entire entry to find the thing you searched for in the beginning.
2) don't load so much at the opening of the app. When I need to look up a word, I don't want to wait a minute just to get to the word entry.
Good But Wish favorites synced through devices.
No app is perfect and this is no exception. It does have a very nice list of words and I do love the ability to have them pronounced to you. However this is not native to the device and can only be done when online access is available. By far my favorite things are favorites and word of the day notifications. Unfortunately the ability to sync your favorites through devices is not there. They will sync from say an iPhone to a new iPhone you buy but not from iPad to iPhone etc. This IMO is a downfall as you can create an account and sync your favorite to iCloud however they still will not sync from different types of devices. If they could I would give it five stars. Also the ability to download and offline dictionary is also nice overall it's my go to app for words.
As a 75 year old college graduate, I depend on this app almost on a daily basis. I appreciate the way in which the definitions of researched words are presented and explained.
Being a poor speller as I am, sometimes I can't get a handle on how a word is spelled. I simply tap the microphone and say the word I'm after. Then it appears in writing. Also, I use Spanish occasionally and need to know how to translate certain English words into that language.
In short, I regard this app as my personal tutor
in resident. I recommend it to any one who needs a command over the English language. I wish an app like this was available back in the sixties when I was taking Professor Price's English class 1A. He was a real stickler when it came to proper word usage in composition.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 22, 2014
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 63.3 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- Ad-Free Upgrade$2.99
- set of 100 voice to text searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$1.99
- Expert English$4.99
- Power Pack Upgrade$7.99