Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus Premium
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only Dictionary app you will ever need. Works offline!
Dictionary.com is the leading English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 definitions and synonyms.
This app works offline – you do not need an internet connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
• Word of the Day – learn a new word every day
• Audio pronunciation – hear every word
• Voice search – speak to search
• Translator – get translations for over 30 languages
• Blog – explore over 800 fun language topics
• Slideshows – fascinating facts about language
• Quiz widget - test your vocabulary with Word of the Day quizzes
• Word origin - find out interesting etymologies
• Favorite words and search history – never forget the words you learn
• Spelling suggestions – get help with how words are
• Local lookups - see which words are being searched near you
• Advanced learner’s dictionary – special content for ESL, EFL and English learners
Now included in our Premium App:
• Slang Dictionary
• Idioms and Phrases
• Example Sentences
• Medical, Science and Rhyming Dictionaries
What's New in Version 5.3.1
- More than a thousand new definitions including "esports", "slacktivism" and "dark web."
- Bug fixes
This is really one of the best ones I've seen!
Even though this is my favorite dictionary app, THUS FAR, it has been kind of annoying when I tap on "Examples" or "Synonyms", and there will be no information. So, I end up Googling the word to find out how it is used or more about its meaning. Like today's "Word of the Day" was SUPER VAGUE & had NO information when I tapped on "Examples". It truly needs improvement.
It even offers "off-the-cuff", slang words, and if you have made some in-app purchase some, it will give you examples, synonyms, it just goes on. Honestly, no matter what phone I ever have, I plan on always purchasing this app and all of its features. I L🍓VE the "Weekly Quizzes", vocabulary has always been part of my passion for writing. Please keep up the great work. I even try, each day, to use whatever the last "word of the day" that was sent to me, whenever I think f it until I get the next one.
Along with the weekly "Word of the day Quzzes", I thought you might want to really challenge us a little more by possibly having trivial quizzes on daily words, like the origin, etc.
Also, it's kinda easy to do like one little word quiz per week, but I would suggest some sort of small incentive to make kinda really do our homework, or maybe you could find a way to see if we'd practiced any words or phrases that we personally don't normally use. I don't know. Just a thought.
Paid version is the best
I love the app. I have the paid version. Only pain in the a22 is it keeps begging you to rate it even after paying. I know its a small thing though for an app that really delivers.
Update...I still love the app. It has more information than I could have imagined for less than a buck. As I mentioned before one you pay for it it keeps asking for a rating which I did. Even after writing the above quick review and rating it continues to ask for a rating. Its pretty annoying. With that being said I can't recommend this app enough, especially for writers.
A very useful tool
I have bought the app and so have additional nice features with no ad. Very useful. The only recommendations I would suggest are: 1) some way to show that there are contents in the additional features like Examples, Medical, Encyclopedia…, so as to save us time clicking into it and find no content; 2) it will be nice to have an "easier" version of the Word of the Day. Words that are more popular or commonly used or from new trends. Something like "Word of the Day for ESL", which will be much more useful.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 20, 2015
- Version: 5.3.1
- Size: 35.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Encyclopedia upgradeFree
- Medical Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Translator UpgradeFree
- Rhyming Dictionary UpgradeFree
- set of 100 voice to text searches$2.99
- Grammar & Tips UpgradeFree
- Idioms & Phrases UpgradeFree
- Science Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Expert EnglishFree
- Slang UpgradeFree