Download the most essential and comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPad– with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms. The app is designed and optimized for your device.
Easily search definitions and synonyms offline. You can access the offline dictionary anytime and anywhere - you do not need an internet connection. Voice search and audio pronunciation requires connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice Searches – conveniently speak to search a word without having to spell it
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Remove ads
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
- Minor improvements to data display on dictionary and thesaurus pages.
Ratings and Reviews
I don't really use the app much but I know it's a really good and popular app. However there is something really bothering me and is the reason why I don't use the app much. Like the app has push notifications but I don't know why because I haven't gotten a notification from the app and who knows how long. And notifications don't even pop up on the app let alone getting push notifications of the word of the day. That's another thing, I want to or give us the options of getting push notifications of word of the day. Please make these changes so I can be an active user of this app and not someone who has an app on a phone but never uses it.
Fair App, But Not Great.
The basic app is far better than the upgrade. The upgrade is an entirely different version of Dictionary and won't even allow you to use it in landscape mode. You're stuck in portrait mode and the upgrades are not worth the price. Even the basic app is overdone with extras that are useless. I went back to using the basic app after deleting the upgrade.
Additional Note: Many of the functions (I paid for) are no longer working. For example, the "rhyming dictionary" function no longer works and the "restore purchase" button has been turned off. Until these issues are addressed, I cannot upgrade my score or recommend this app to anyone.
A brave little dictionary!
So said because it faces up boldly and well against many other, better known word books that are tedious and impractical. This one has a nice, broad sense of inclusion about its words. It offers simple, yet accurate explanations that provide a simple sense of the word and not an interpretation. After all, this is a wonderful technology gizmo that fetches all this stuff out of thin air and puts it with a nice booklike tactility on a little screen right in your face in a few moments. Five huzzas!
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 200 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Dictionary.com, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade $2.99
- Ad-Free Upgrade $2.99
- set of 100 voice to text searches $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.