Download the most essential and comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPad– with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms. The app is designed and optimized for your device.
Easily search definitions and synonyms offline. You can access the offline dictionary anytime and anywhere - you do not need an internet connection. Voice search and audio pronunciation requires connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes more features than you might expect:
• Word of the Day – expand your vocabulary and challenge yourself daily
• Audio pronunciation – increase confidence in English and never mispronounce another word
• Voice Searches – conveniently speak to search a word without having to spell it
• Articles – explore hundreds of fun topics on language, grammar, and words in the wild
• Slideshows – learn fascinating facts about language
• Favorite words and search history – never forget the words you learn and save words for future reference
• Word origin - discover interesting etymologies for even the strangest words
• Local lookups - see which words are being searched near you or by location
• Spelling suggestions – not sure how a word is spelled? Spell check in the app will help
• Advanced learner’s dictionary – special content for ESL, EFL and English learners
Extra upgrades included in our Pro App:
• Remove Ads
• Slang Dictionary
• Idioms and Phrases
• Example Sentences
• Medical, Science and Rhyming Dictionaries
- Minor improvements to data display on dictionary and thesaurus pages.
Ratings and Reviews
So the developer updated this app right before the release of iOS11, that’s 3 years after the previous update! Congrats to the reborn! I love this app on iPhone, and it gets even better on iPad now. But I hope developer can bring back the translation feature which I think is very convenient in app.
I have had the app for many years, and found that I was relying more on this company than the many others out there. I have now even bought all the updates. Totally worth it. Highly recommended! Keep up the good work! It gets better with every update.
Sync Favs w iPhone
I love the app and use it on iPhone all the time. That said, I don’t want to maintain two separate and unique lists of favorite words. This makes no sense, particularly when the iPhone app already syncs to iCloud. I’m confused why there are two individual apps (and don’t remember if I purchased both or not) but I’d rather run the iPhone app on iPad and have a single list of merged favorites than maintain two lists.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 200.1 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade $1.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade $1.99
- Translator Upgrade $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.