Dictionary.com’s Pro app now includes ALL of our content and Upgrades (over 3,400,000 fun and helpful entries) for just one low price. It’s also ad-free!
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
- Minor improvements to data display on dictionary and thesaurus pages.
Ratings and Reviews
Very useful, but needs update
Good app, with an extensive collection of words, but I cannot scroll my favorite words anymore. This bug greatly diminishes the usefulness of this app. Also, a landscape view option would be helpful, though not as important as fixing the favorites scrolling problem.
Pronunciation Key Missing
This app has many good features. Short articles about words, meanings and origin are interesting and fun. I really miss having the IPA pronunciation key which used to be an option. Now we only have the audible.
Doesn’t function independent of the internet
Your dictionary is generally very helpful, but only when used under the umbrella of the internet.
I’m certain I have a paid version, and it was my understanding that it would also function as a stand-alone app, not dependent upon the internet. I am frequently working at remote locations, and am unable to use it in those situations.
As I recall, I “downloaded” the dictionary in the past, but to no avail.
When the internet is available, I can throw any word I want out there for spelling and definition just by doing a random internet search. However, I’d like something that is readily available when the internet is not.
I don’t mind upgrading or paying extra for such a feature, but I abhor the idea of needing a quick confirmation of (what is typically) a simple word or idiom only to be told an internet connection is required.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 119.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2017
- In-App Purchases
- Encyclopedia upgrade Free
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade Free
- Translator Upgrade Free
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.