Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming and Slang Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Pro App.
- Fixed problem where clicking on any word makes it a favorite.
- Made improvements to the Help Center to make contacting Customer Service easier.
- Improvements made to the app’s video player.
- Trends feature has been removed.
Ratings and Reviews
Where did all these forced ads come from???
1) The ads are overkill to say the least. This used to be. 5 star app- I never had to deal with all these stupid pop-ups and inescapable video ads. You’re lucky Siri’s integrated thesaurus is so limited or else I would’ve deleted this app a long time ago.
2)Personally this has become a more recently growing issue. I’ll search thesaurus for word, “x”, with 0 results, no synonyms available. However, if I search for something synonymous with “x”, such as “n”, a whole list of synonyms pop up, including “x”!! ugh 🤷🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️
Other times when I’m looking through a given list of synonyms , I’ve clicked on a word for its definition, but there is no definition available bc the dictionary doesn't even recognize this word exists. . Vise versa after looking up a definition , I’ll try to use thesaurus on it , but it comes up no synonyms available.
And trust me both problems are equally frustrating. Seriously, how can you know the synonymy of a word on one side of your app, but can’t deliver its friggin definition on the other side. Stupid.
A wonderful tool for elementary students too.
My daughter uses this app almost everyday as a companion to reading her novels. She oftentimes comes across words she is unfamiliar with. The dictionary app provides a quick way to access words while she still holds onto her book. We also did homework together last night and the thesaurus feature was wonderfully designed so that one can search antonyms and synonyms while effortlessly switching back to the definition of the original words and newly found words. Lastly, this is a "must purchase" app. You'll experience the app best by having no interruptions. This is important especially if you want a child to use it to build vocabulary while reading independently.
I love it and am grateful for it.
The interface is enjoyable. I appreciate the simple themed blog posts about words. I like how you can favorite words and the easy switch to thesaurus mode. It would be cool to have fewer ads, or at least a different type of ad. Those upper corner countdown ads are irritating. As a songwriter I’m always playing with words, and not just rhyming, but syllable breakdown - lining them up with different melodic lines and rhythmic ideas. It would would be cool to markup the words within favorites - have metadata. Like be able to write “about” the words, sort and group them almost by project, and have them linked to audio and journals docs in like a google doc or another app. Thanks!
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 110.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2017
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade $2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches $3.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.