Dictionary Universal is iPhone, iPod touch and iPad application for viewing StarDict dictionaries and dictionaries in Lingvo DSL format ¹. Many of these dictionaries are available on the Internet for free ².
* Very fast. After dictionary is indexed, minimal time is required to start before you can type text. List of matches appears without delay while you type.
* Supports morphology for English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
* Fuzzy search. This functionality will help you find words if they are misspelled or when you don't know how to type word correctly. Just type in the text and hit Search button on the keyboard.
* Pronunciation support.
* Searching text in currently displayed article.
* Profiles group dictionaries, pronunciation and morphology for quick switching. Useful if you work with several languages.
* Favorites and Search History.
* Ability to lookup word in clipboard when switching to the application. Copy word to clipboard and switch to Dictionary Universal to see translation.
* Most complete StarDict format support in the AppStore (including images, synonyms, and various dictionary formats).
* Color highlighting for better text readability (when supported by dictionary format).
* Arbitrary word lookup. Tap any word in article to lookup it in loaded dictionaries.
*Full screen mode support.
*Multitouch gestures support:
- swipe horizontally to switch between dictionaries;
- swipe with two fingers from left to right for navigating to previous article;
- tap with two fingers to toggle full screen mode.
* Compressed dictionaries and resources support.
* Embedded web browser for downloading dictionaries from the Internet.
* Multitasking and iTunes File Sharing.
¹ Lingvo DSL format is a text format with dictionary source code. Dictionary Universal does not support compiled Lingvo dictionaries (LSD format).
² No dictionaries are bundled with the application. You will need StarDict or Lingvo DSL dictionaries to use them with the application.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
This app is pretty good, but it needs to support sharing extensions. The app Dicty for example allows me to share definitions via message, email etc.
Also I wish results would come up in Spotlight searches as they do in other apps like Terminology.
This app works well and I like it.
But when will be the Split View available? I bought this app for that function, but more than a year there's not an update! This app is abandoned?
It's a wonderful dictionary with a smart search which really works :)
I'm waiting impatiently to have it on the SlideOver panel of my iPad to fulfill my happiness with it and give it 5 stars.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.