By Farlex, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only Dictionary and Thesaurus with every word you search for, plus free offline dictionary access. Millions of definitions from top sources, including:
The American Heritage Dictionary
Plus FREE access to:
English Offline Dictionary
English Offline Thesaurus with synonyms and more
Word of the Day
English Idioms and Slang Dictionary
Translations of English into 40+ languages
Dozens of other translation options
+ Much more! The Free Dictionary is like getting 100+ apps in one easy-to-use interface.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the free reference category in 99 countries 2011–2016. (Source: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/379450383/app-ranking/#device=ipad&type=best-ranks)
Here's what you can do with The Free Dictionary app:
* Find every word you search for.
Clear, accurate definitions from top dictionaries—online and offline.
* Find synonyms fast.
Free Thesaurus with simple interface makes it easy to find the perfect word. Browse synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Learn something new every day.
Word of the Day
Idiom of the Day
+ Other daily content
* Build your vocabulary.
Don't just look up words—learn how to use them! Featuring:
The perfect dictionary app for word lovers and learners of all levels.
* Explore topics in-depth.
Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Idioms and Slang dictionary
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Play word games.
Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* See idioms in action.
Watch idioms videos inside the app! Featuring animated explanations of words and phrases from the idioms and slang dictionary.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages.
Spanish dictionary and thesaurus
French dictionary and thesaurus
German dictionary and thesaurus
Italian dictionary and thesaurus
Portuguese dictionary and thesaurus
Russian dictionary and thesaurus
* Translate English into Spanish, French, and 40+ languages.
Or translate other languages into English. Access dozens of other translation options.
* Access dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers with just one search:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
Here's why The Free Dictionary is the most user-friendly dictionary app:
* Voice search. Look up a word just by saying it.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap "Definition."
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to all your devices.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
Seem too good to be true?
The Free Dictionary app has been downloaded tens of millions times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews.
Read reviews from real users to see why they say The Free Dictionary is the best dictionary app they've ever used.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
What's New in Version 6.0
* Better search suggestions for misspelled words!
* New improved Thesaurus! Quickly find the perfect synonym.
* Multitasking support for iPad.
* Idiom of the Day.
* Watch idioms videos inside the app!
* Set the order of your homepage items.
* Mismatch, a new game for matching opposites!
* New Spanish content, including Spanish Word of the Day and games.
* New homepage design.
* Device rotation restored for iPhone.
* Bug fixes.
* If you like The Free Dictionary app, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! We read every single review we receive, but unfortunately the App Store does not give us the ability to respond. If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd[dot]com. You'll be amazed how quickly we reply!
The free dictionary by Farlex
Farlex free dictionary is a good site, but they refuse to admit their errors. If something on the site isn't working right & I ask for help, after a lot of trouble trying to get some help, I am always told that they're working on it, but then send an email. The problems are not solved for me. I'm playing as a registered member of The free food for the hungry program & I'm in 2nd place in my city. The "mismatch" word game uses the same words redundantly. The words used today i have seen at least 2 other times this week, and more before that. The green spoons by my name have still never been added and i have 8k or 10k points. i have tried to get my profile picture put up for 2 months & it gave the same 2 excuses every time it wouldn't work. there are too many bugs. I liked the app before I registered for their free food for children program, but with all the bugs and never shown the icon that i haven't got to see them, i feel that i'm wasting my time doing that for charity.
Totally Worth Getting!!!
I have had this app for about a month now testing it out. I love it! If I read something and want to know if fuller meaning of the word, all I have to do is copy it and paste it into the app. But that's not all this app gives you! I love knowing where phrases come from or the history. This app includes something for this. There's all kinds of additional information you get besides dictionary. And you can keep the extras that you like, and take out the ones that you aren't going to look at in the settings. Now my us husband even has the app and loves it because I was always sharing with him things that I found on the app. Thanks for creating such a good program. Keep up the good work!
A complete dictionary
I used to have another dictionary app on my phone and were always disappointed of its shortcomings until I found this awesome app. The Free Dictionary is a complete app and very helpful. It uses more than one dictionary for the meaning and includes the thesaurus. It even has translation and "view in context" sections for user's references. Its thorough typing suggestion is another big plus. I am very happy with this app.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 11, 2016
- Version: 6.0
- Size: 18.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2016 Farlex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Ad-free upgrade$1.99