Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Pro App.
Embarrassed. Adjective. Us when we realized the offline dictionary went AWOL. We're very sorry, and don't worry: We brought it back.
(Hear ye, hear ye: If you want to hear your audio pronunciations, don't forget to crank up your phone volume!)
Ratings and Reviews
Where did all these forced ads come from???
1) The ads are overkill to say the least. This used to be. 5 star app- I never had to deal with all these stupid pop-ups and inescapable video ads. You’re lucky Siri’s integrated thesaurus is so limited or else I would’ve deleted this app a long time ago.
2)Personally this has become a more recently growing issue. I’ll search thesaurus for word, “x”, with 0 results, no synonyms available. However, if I search for something synonymous with “x”, such as “n”, a whole list of synonyms pop up, including “x”!! ugh 🤷🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️
Other times when I’m looking through a given list of synonyms , I’ve clicked on a word for its definition, but there is no definition available bc the dictionary doesn't even recognize this word exists. . Vise versa after looking up a definition , I’ll try to use thesaurus on it , but it comes up no synonyms available.
And trust me both problems are equally frustrating. Seriously, how can you know the synonymy of a word on one side of your app, but can’t deliver its friggin definition on the other side. Stupid.
Gone completely dowhill
I downloaded this app on the first iPod I ever received about 10 yeas ago because I was stuck in the countryside during the summers in an area that only carried one cellphone company’s tower (but not in the house I stayed in, spotty at best in the rest of town, and naturally not the one I had anyway). I got a lot of reading done...so many books. This app gave me the ability to look up words as I tried to expand my vocabulary and interests in other genres/forced summer reading for school. It was the offline feature that drew me to the application in the first place, the only limit of having no internet was the inability to here the audio pronunciation. It was perfect! How such a feature would be a paid service now, disadvantaging children and adults who may have limited access to internet services is disgusting. Would be enough for me to rate one star but then on top of that you’ve put so many intrusive ads as to make this app unusable even if you have internet unless you pay for the upgrade. Shameful
Used to be great, now it's terrible
This used to be my favourite tool as a writer. I had all the synonyms I could need right at my fingertips without having to jump down a Google hole to find something. I never even complained about the whole buying-the-offline-version thing. But recently this app has been a MAJOR mess.
Thesaurus synonyms used to be alphabetised, now the words are all scrambled up and I have to go searching for a word that I can't think of. I have bad eyesight so this an awful struggle for me, to have to read through every single word instead of just skipping to where I know it will be. I have no idea who thought THAT was a great idea, but whomever it was should be dropped off the side of a tall building because this B.S. isn't even worth being free. Not to mention the billions of ads that pop up. I understand it's free but I'm not paying $3 for an ad-free experience I can just as easily get by using a web browser.
TL;DR do NOT get this app - it's disorganised, messy, and annoying.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 135.8 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2017
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade $2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches $3.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.