Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only free Dictionary app you will ever need. Works offline!
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 definitions and synonyms.
This app works offline – you do not need an internet connection.
Now get Word of the Day and more on your Apple Watch!
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word every day
- Audio pronunciation – hear every word
- Voice search – speak to search
- Translator – get translations for over 30 languages
- Blog – explore over 800 fun language topics
- Slideshows – fascinating facts about language
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary with Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin - find out interesting etymologies
- Favorite words and search history – never forget the words you learn
- Spelling suggestions – get help with how words are spelled
- Local lookups - see which words are being searched near you
- Advanced learner’s dictionary – special content for ESL, EFL and English learners
Want even more? You can add to your app with our in-app purchases:
- Slang Dictionary
- Idioms and Phrases
- Example Sentences
- Medical, Science and Rhyming Dictionaries
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 5.2.2
- Apple Watch improvements
- Miscellaneous bug fixes
The daily boost
The "Word of the Day" gets written on the white board in the Engineering Department of the Network affiliated Television station that employs me. It is done to attempt to improve the vocabulary of notoriously crude technical people that staff our department. Old habits and speech patterns are difficult to change and the hope is that the presentation of intelligent alternatives will slowly affect change. Time will tell. Hope reigns supreme. Thanks for the daily resource.
To be filled with explanation in matter of search power is awesome. I am happy with this free dic, app. Don't have the full version so be out on the look out for annoying ads. I only wish app ads was gone for my mind is better focussing on definition to better know and understand the words. Nothing wrong but to pay for ads to be gone is something I should invest in but don't. I have used this apps so many time it should be given full with out paying out of pocket for more fun ways to learn words.
I use this app on average five times a day, and often more. It gives me accurate, detailed, yet concise definitions that are easy to access. The app is easy to use. I recommend it for people of all ages who want to understand the language of others and expand their vocabulary.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: May 26, 2015
- Version: 5.2.2
- Size: 37.1 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2015 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Science Dictionary Upgrade$1.99