Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming and Slang Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 7.1.2
So easy and helpful
Love this app. It is so user friendly and I usually end up spending more time on it then I had planned. I find what I'm looking for plus learn new words all the time. I especially like the fact that I can hear the correct pronunciation of each word, read examples of each word's usage, learn the origin of the word, and learn what year it was introduce into the English language. I've had this app for many years and will keep it for many more years to come. I use it constantly. When I have a little spare time I'll open it and just enjoy myself discovering new words or even refreshing my memory with words that I learned long ago and just forgotten.
I highly recommend this app to everyone and age is not a factor. My grandson and I would "play" with this app even before he learned to read. I'd find funny and silly words, (Cacophony! That was a big hit) I'd let him hit the speaker icon and we would laugh, be amazed, and just have fun with words.
If your on the fence, download it, try it, and if it's not what you expected, then delete it, it's that easy! I'm pretty sure you will keep it! I hope you can enjoy this app as much as I do. I love learning, and its simplicity allows me to learn all the while enjoying the process. I hope my review is helpful, if nothing else, it is an honest review. Enjoy 📚 ✍️🗣
Could be better
Definitely handy, BUT...
This app needs to blink right open. Of all my apps, this one opens the slowest. The amount of time it takes me to paste the word in and click search is the same amount of time as opening the app. It may only be 3 seconds to open, but I can use the web browser almost as fast. This app needs to be thinner & lighter. I feel like i am using a web page instead of an app. Also, it would be nice to be able to configure the main page and which content is displayed. All results should include thesaurus and dictionary results. The dictionary and thesaurus slider button should determine which results display first. I want to like this app but it seems as if it is just a wrapper for the web page and does not seem to run like an app that makes use of the phone's local resources like other apps do.
Great app but this would be cool..
I really like this app but I find myself not using it as much because when I'm in the moment I usually google the word or use my pocket dictionary by my bedside. I think a way you may be able to get more users to actually use the app is if you send users an applicable word during the word of the day notification. When I say applicable, I mean a common word that maybe isn't used as often for what ever reason. Throughout the day you could send the user sentences with that word in context allowing them to grow while using the app. Before you know it users will be masters on the English language haha. Just food for thought on how to get us more engaged.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 17, 2016
- Version: 7.1.2
- Size: 89.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$3.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade$1.99