Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus Premium
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Dictionary.com’s Premium app now includes ALL of our content and Upgrades (over 3,400,000 fun and helpful entries) for just one low price. It’s also ad-free!
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
What's New in Version 7.1.2
The plus version
I started with the free app version and loved it so much I decided to upgrade to the plus version. Because I use it so often and found myself wanting to utilize the options only the plus version offers more and more I didn't think $3.99 was too much to pay with how often I use this app. So unless this is an app you use often the free app will do just fine. However the options that are offered in the upgrade are well worth it. It really boils down to what you expect and/or want to get from the app and if your amount of usage justifies paying for it. Overall very happy with my purchase😬
No, ad-less version is not worth the $
Why? Why did I spend the money on this instead of continuing to use the free version? In retrospect they weren't so bad. Yeah it's nice to have a dictionary but fairly advanced or I should say uncommonly used words are out. Well who am I to say? No apophenia or even pareidolia. Granted I know what they mean but it doesn't leave me very financially reassured. Okay to sum up my rant if your still with me. I would go with the free version. The ads were not as big of a deal as I thought but now it's to late 😢. The "x" or delete button needs to be bigger including a fix of hit or mis load times. Overall it's just a good generic dictionary; maybe just short of great.
Some Apps are awesome, yet I rarely use them. Truthfully, I use 'Dictionary, Deluxe Version' daily, often multiple times. Because my job requires I write more than many people, 'Dictionary' was a no-brainer pick for that part of my life. I'm also a compulsive reader. Even though I'm a centurion, I'll still come across a word on occasion needing clarification and 'Dictionary' does that for me in a flash. Last, 'The Word of the Day' feature usually provides me with a nice chuckle or introduces me to a word I'd forgotten or an actual new one to my vocabulary: fantastic! For me, GREAT APP!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 17, 2016
- Version: 7.1.2
- Size: 88.7 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Encyclopedia upgradeFree
- Medical Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Translator UpgradeFree
- Rhyming Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Grammar & Tips UpgradeFree
- Idioms & Phrases UpgradeFree
- Science Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Slang UpgradeFree
- Expert EnglishFree
- Power Pack UpgradeFree