Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus Premium
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Dictionary.com Premium includes Example Sentences and is completely ad-free!
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, Slideshows & the Blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Example sentences
• Word origin & history
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Medical Dictionary with over 35,000 medical words & definitions available as a premium upgrade
• Science Dictionary with over 23,000 science definitions & illustrations available as a premium upgrade
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• Modern, up-to-date English definitions & content
• Customizable font sizes for better readability
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
Tip: To turn Word of the Day notifications on or off, go to Settings > Notifications > Dictionary and toggle On or Off.
What's New in Version 4.4.1
Fixed an issue with iCloud sync that was being experienced by some users. This issue was causing the app to hang on launch.
New in v4.4:
• Exciting new content: Idioms & Phrases, Grammar & Tips, Slang Dictionary, and a complete Encyclopedia (available as premium upgrades)
• New in-app message center: receive word trivia and other bonus Dictionary.com content
• Backup your Favorites to iCloud so you can save them as you update (iOS7+)
• Fixed an issue that was causing app to crash when using the Translator
A fine wine that has gotten better with age.
I have been a dictionary user since release, and this is one app that has gotten better with age. While it would be nice if they put out specials where you can buy all of its (very useful) DLC into one affordable package, it still is worth every penny. Even if you didn't purchase any DLC, you are getting a robust app that outstrips other dictionary apps. And what I like about the DLC is that you just buy what you need. But each DLC makes very significant and positive additions to the app, so it is, at least, worth looking in to.
To sum up:
A great app that keeps getting better. You don't have to buy any DLC for this to be a great app, but the DLC is worthwhile as well. Enjoy.
Favorite dictionary app
I've tried a few dictionary apps, and this is the best I've found. For someone who likes to look up words independent of working on a note, it's convenient to have a standalone app, and the dictionary is larger than the others I've tried. The GUI and stability issues of past versions seem to have been resolved now with a more native interface. My one complaint is that one needs a network connection to view etymologies, but that's usually not an issue. Overall, this is the dictionary to have.
My Necessary App
I am always looking up something. Probably because I am usually writing something. This is the best dictionary app for me. Easy to use: I like the history of lookups. On my iPad I get hooked reading the articles. Upgrades aren't expensive if you only need 1-2, but this app does accrue a pretty penny when you use it as extensively as I do, rather than googling constantly. I recommend it.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 18, 2013
- Version: 4.4.1
- Size: 56.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- The Writer's Toolbox$2.99
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade$1.99
- Slang Upgrade$1.99
- set of 100 voice to text searches$2.99
- Science Dictionary Upgrade$1.99