Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus Premium
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms and designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Dictionary.com’s Premium app now includes ALL of our content and Upgrades (over 3,400,000 fun and helpful entries) for just one low price. It’s also ad-free!
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Favorite words and recent search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- New Content Collections Carousel includes fresh content from our Blog, Slideshows and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - find out where even the strangest words come from
- Spelling suggestions - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local lookups - see which words are being searched near you
- Advanced learner’s dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
What's New in Version 7.0.0
Just in time for the holiday season, we have added new features to make your Dictionary.com experience that much better. Thanks to your valuable feedback, our latest release has updated the following features:
* Definitions and Thesaurus - YES! We are bringing thesaurus back. Search within the dictionary and thesaurus from anywhere in the app by selecting them from the search box.
* Recent Searches – Tap the search box to see your most recent searches.
* Favorite Words – Access your favorites at any time by tapping the star icon on the top right of the home screen.
* Settings and Features – Access all of your app’s options conveniently through the top left menu.
* Ease of Use – Experience a more seamless navigation to the home screen using the X on the top right of any page.
We hope you enjoy this update. Happy holidays to all of you from us at Dictionary.com!
This is really one of the best ones I've seen!
Even though this is my favorite dictionary app, THUS FAR, it has been kind of annoying when I tap on "Examples" or "Synonyms", and there will be no information. So, I end up Googling the word to find out how it is used or more about its meaning. Like today's "Word of the Day" was SUPER VAGUE & had NO information when I tapped on "Examples". It truly needs improvement.
It even offers "off-the-cuff", slang words, and if you have made some in-app purchase some, it will give you examples, synonyms, it just goes on. Honestly, no matter what phone I ever have, I plan on always purchasing this app and all of its features. I L🍓VE the "Weekly Quizzes", vocabulary has always been part of my passion for writing. Please keep up the great work. I even try, each day, to use whatever the last "word of the day" that was sent to me, whenever I think f it until I get the next one.
Along with the weekly "Word of the day Quzzes", I thought you might want to really challenge us a little more by possibly having trivial quizzes on daily words, like the origin, etc.
Also, it's kinda easy to do like one little word quiz per week, but I would suggest some sort of small incentive to make kinda really do our homework, or maybe you could find a way to see if we'd practiced any words or phrases that we personally don't normally use. I don't know. Just a thought.
I've been writing and teaching writing for more than 50 years and regret that this powerhouse was not available sooner. This is not just a dictionary, it's a plunge into the heart of the language. I was delighted when it was just a dictionary but the add-ons make it much more useful. I seldom use the add-ons, but when I do, I find them incredibly useful. I am anxious to support these developers in their work. These latest improvements make it even more intuitive. I can get lost in the app like others playing Halo. Thanks for keeping the language fascinating and inviting.
I really like having a dictionary close at hand, ready to whip it out of my pocket to discover a new word or confirm a pronunciation. I would have been willing to pay for it (maybe I did - it's been a long time since I got it). If you enjoy knowing what words mean, then this is the app for you. Occasionally, I hit the commercial lurking at the bottom of the screen, but it's very easy to find the little "x" to get rid of it. Lots of good stuff about this one - lots to like.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 16, 2015
- Version: 7.0.0
- Size: 46.9 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Encyclopedia upgradeFree
- Medical Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Translator UpgradeFree
- Rhyming Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Grammar & Tips UpgradeFree
- set of 100 voice to text searches$2.99
- Idioms & Phrases UpgradeFree
- Science Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Expert EnglishFree
- Slang UpgradeFree