Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus Premium
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Dictionary.com’s Premium app now includes ALL of our content and Upgrades (over 3,400,000 fun and helpful entries) for just one low price. It’s also ad-free!
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
What's New in Version 7.0.2
- Fixed crash that affected users on older versions of iOS
- Solved Word of the Day updating issue
I've always had a strong fascination with words, especially the subtle shades of meaning that can be expressed when the right word for a special circumstance is chosen from among the tens of thousands available for use by English speakers and writers. Now in transition from a career in medical science to writing poetry, this app is a trusted friend assisting my frequent searches for just the 'right' word for my needs of the moment. It helps validate my lifelong aversion from the use of jargon to express exactly what I meant to convey for all those years. Clients in my past life also appreciated this stylistic skill as well. Thank you for not shying away from including subtlety and complexity in the construction of your app. I look forward to watching and benefitting from your ongoing efforts to evolve this service into an even more perfect tool for us to use.
Love this Dictionary, convenient App, can't live without. As a young girl growing up My Father never told me how to spell a word or what it meant. Instead he always made me get out the Webster's Dictionary and look it up. He made me learn how to look up a word by sounding it out even if it took me hours looking at almost every page. This helped a lot in school and my work years. Downside of course was you need to know how to spell the word to look up a word in the Dictionary and this was very frustrating as a young girl. My Father could never understand this logic (or could he) and used this as a teaching moment mainly Patience!! Now that I have been retired for a number of years I find I am using the Dictionary more. Could this be the meaning of "If you don't use it you lose it"??
MOST VALUABLE APP IN MY PHONE.
I couldn't ask for anything more in a dictionary/thesaurus app. I'm completely satisfied and use it very frequently. To hear the word spoken, is especially helpful. I like it so much, I have purchased all upgrades. I find every single upgrade absolutely invaluable. Having the Greek word origin as well as the Latin word origin really helps me understand words in a way I haven't ever understood them before. All the individuals responsible for the development & continual updates of this family of apps deserves an enormous round of applause for a job extremely well done. I have yet to find a glitch or a typo – – and I'm a natural born typospotter. They drive me crazy. It is an absolute pleasure to enjoy learning from every single thing I use these apps for. Thank you!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 20, 2016
- Version: 7.0.2
- Size: 47.9 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Encyclopedia upgradeFree
- Medical Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Translator UpgradeFree
- Rhyming Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Grammar & Tips UpgradeFree
- Idioms & Phrases UpgradeFree
- Science Dictionary UpgradeFree
- Slang UpgradeFree
- Expert EnglishFree
- Power Pack UpgradeFree