Coda for iOS (Formerly Diet Coda)
By Panic, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
An incredible, powerful, and portable text editor — that does a lot.
THE SHORT VERSION:
• A stunningly full-featured text editor
• Works on both the iPhone or iPad
• Editor features Clips, Find & Replace (with placeholder!), Context Keys, Super Loupe, much more.
• Local or Remote file management
• Remote protocols include FTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3, DreamObjects, and FTP (Plain, TLS, SSL) support
• Air Preview for use with Coda for Mac
• SSH Terminal
• Much more!
THE LONG VERSION:
Coda for iOS is a text editor, with syntax highlighting, clips, find replace, the works. But it also has a full file manager, allowing you to work with files locally or remotely. It has a cool keyboard with context keys and an amazing super loupe to set your cursor. It manages 'sites' so you can quickly get to work, and it'll even sync those sites. It'll preview your pages, of course. And we've also thrown in a full-featured SSH terminal. It's an incredible app.
SITES. The foundation of Coda iOS: create a site for each of your projects, local or remote, and quickly get to the files you need to edit. Better still, use our free Panic Sync service to sync these sites with Coda Mac and Transmit iOS, securely and quickly.
FILES. We've been building file managers for a really long time — we've got this. Local, remote, or any mix of the two. Edit, rename, duplicate, create folders, upload, download, you name it, you got it.
EDITING. Tap a file to land in our highly-optimized text editor, which syntax highlights your code with ease. Now, try this: move the insertion point. Whoa. That's the Super Loupe, magnifying magic we think is the best way to precisely set your cursor. And only Coda iOS has it.
CLIPS. Have a handful of code bits you re-use a lot? Tap the clips icon in Coda iOS, and load them in. Now you can insert them with a single tap.
FIND / REPLACE. Let’s say you accidentally inverted the values of your width and height tags. With our find and replace banner — and its breakthrough wildcard button — you can easily replace or swap or re-arrange your text.
TERMINAL. Really? Like, a full-featured SSH client built-in? Sure! Not only is it great value for your money, but it's also great help to getting your work done. Connect to your sites with a tap, and get the full-featured spot-on emulation of Prompt.
TABS. Quickly switch between your open documents. I know, it's obvious. But still.
CONTEXT KEYS. We've added a special section to your iOS keyboard that gives you the most useful, helpful special characters, automatically. It takes a lot of the pain out of writing code on a piece of glass.
AIR PREVIEW. A really special thing. Paired with Coda 2 for Mac, Coda iOS can act as a dedicated "preview screen", showing you a preview of what you're coding on the desktop — as you code. It's a great use for an iPad that's just sitting around, being lonely.
We've put an stunning, desktop-class amount of work into Coda iOS. It's truly pro. But, it's not hard to learn. And while we're not convinced we'll make our money back on it, you're getting an incredible amount of power at a killer price. Buy it today!
What's New in Version 2.0
It's finally here. A massive, FREE update: CODA 2 for iOS!
Almost entirely rewritten, this massive undertaking makes literally every inch of the app better. It's so big, it's no longer 'Diet'.
Here's what's new in 2.0:
- NEW UI. Fully redesigned impeccably to look great on iOS 9 and beyond.
- IPHONE. We heard you! Now, it's universal! Coda iOS now works on your iPad and your iPhone.
- PANIC SYNC. Keep your sites, clips, and credentials in sync using our free, secure sync service.
- MORE MODES. Go, INI, Lua, Scheme, Shell Script, SQL, and Swift.
- DUAL FILE BROWSERS. See dev and productions files side-by-side. Managing your files is now even easier.
- TERMINAL. Lots of new features ported straight from our powerful Prompt 2 SSH client.
- BETTER PREVIEW. Faster AirPreview. Markdown support. Much more.
- NEW PROTOCOLS. Amazon S3, DreamObjects, and WebDAV.
- LOTS MORE. Incredible fixes around every corner, including: shared local storage with Transmit iOS for easier workflows, better Accessibility support, List View for sites, Passcode lock with Touch ID support, background transfer notifications, 1Password Extension support, importing and exporting to iCloud Drive and other document providers, and more.
This update took us a long time, which we don't like. But it's packed with incredible new features not to mention a complete top-to-bottom UI overhaul, which we do like. Thank you for your patience — sincerely — and please enjoy Coda 2 for iOS.
Wow! Full web development on iPhone!!
It is insane to me that Panic has managed to fit a full featured web development kit into an iPhone app. You can legitimately create and manage sites in iOS.
And in the most gorgeous way imaginable. While any given function may have existed in some app before, most of them are clunky and without functionality between different apps, -real- web dev just wasn't possible. Now it is!
A little misleading
I opted for the full Coda for iOS instead of prompt because the Panic site says it has a "full version" of prompt inside. Being a network engineer, it would be nice to just use the ssh and telnet terminal feature to administer a router. This isn't possible with telnet and can only be done with SSH if you setup the router as an SFTP server first.
Update: it's a great app for what it does. It is an impressive tool, just doesn't fully replace Prompt.
All I can say is wow. Fantastic app which covers all of my dev needs. I still can't get over how smooth sftp file navigation is. This is an app that's in a league of its own. Bravo.
I have two feature requests:
1) ssh proxy command/startup command: I don't know how feasible this is with the file protocols but I currently want to get to a machine that involves an extra ssh hop. I was achieving this in prompt with the ssh startup command.
2) git support. Would love to know statuses and commits. I know I can do this in the terminal but it would be cool to integrate it into the file manager/editor.
Once again, just a fantastic application. I'm really blown away.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jul 16, 2015
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 29.8 MB
- Languages: English, Japanese
- Seller: Panic, Inc.
- © 2015 Panic Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.