Choose This not That for Dietary Guidelines for 50+ Americans. US Dept of Agriculture and US Dept of Health & Human Services published the Dietary Guidelines for 2015-2020 period on Jan. 7, 2016. These guidelines are updated and published every five years, and are “based on a thorough review of the strongest available scientific evidence”. This app is the first and the most comprehensive implementation of the Guidelines (DG). It provides easy to use, specific and easy to act upon dietary guidance. Updated June 2017.
While the DG are considered a valuable tool for the nutrition and healthcare professionals, for most consumers, they are too voluminous, hard to navigate, relatively broad and contain too much industry jargon. In this app we have taken every effort to make the information easier to understand and easier to put to work. For example, the DG recommend limiting your sodium and saturated fat intake, but they leave it up to the reader to look up the sodium and saturated fat content of various foods. This app will automatically favor those food items that are lower in sodium and saturated fat.
Another example. The DG recommend eating fish, while the app will identify the specific fish that might be better for you based on the other information available within the DG such as Omega-3 fatty acids content (good), or mercury content (bad).
You will find a number of powerful, unique and interactive features in this app, among them:
• Is this food good for me? This feature answers the common question about suitability of various food items for your personal situation. And it does so in an easy to understand and colorful graphic form.
• Top-5. The Top-5 items to eat or do, and the Top-5 not to.
• Food Suggestions. Get suggestions on the best food choices within a food group, and get expert recommendations based on your personal profile. An extremely valuable tool when you are in a restaurant or at a grocery store.
• ACTIONABLE information on what is good, what is bad, and what is neutral for you. We single out specific food items, and give you an ordered list of helpful and harmful foods within each food group.
• Within this app, there are also separate guidelines for those who are: vegetarians, wish to cope with stress better, or have Vitamin D or Magnesium deficiencies (common among older Americans). We offer a separate mobile app for those younger than 50 years called Dietary Guidelines.
Personal Remedies is the publisher of the largest collection of health and nutrition apps for chronic conditions in the market. It is based in metro-Boston, home to the highest ranking healthcare providers and academic institutions in the world.
“This technology was developed using the most current clinical evidence-based information that is available in the US. Behind this technology there is a team of expert clinicians, scientists, endocrinologists, oncologists, and other specialists who are passionate about bridging the gap between expert knowledge and the patient.“
Katya Tsaioun, PhD, Nutrition, Tufts University; L.D.N.
“Proper nutrition and other alternative treatments show great promise in preventing and treating many of the illnesses that we deal with every day. I encourage all my patients to follow appropriate nutrition and research other options for themselves. The Choose This Not That series are an excellent step towards improving people’s knowledge in this area.”
Shahin Tabatabaei, MD
Mass General Hospital; Harvard Medical School
“The Choose This Not That series of apps provide dietary recommendations focused on common chronic health problems. They are easy to understand and thus easy to implement into daily life. Most doctors would find it difficult to discuss dietary recommendations at the level of detail found in the series. They should serve as a valuable complement in helping people manage chronic illnesses through dietary and lifestyle modifications.”
Andrew S. Lenhardt, MD
Lahey Clinic, Hamilton, MA
This update is signed with Apple’s latest signing certificate. No new features are included.
Ratings and Reviews
Couldn’t enter sign up info
Tried to sing up and immediately had issues entering a username and password. The app wouldn’t allow me to check mark the box or sign up tab, it was like frozen yet my phone was fine.
Sorry about your problem, but you need to close your on-screen keyboard before you can tap on the Sign Up button. If any other issue please email us at email@example.com for quicker response.
- Personal Remedies, LLC
- 1.4 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Personal Remedies, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.