DietWell™ for PKU
By Cambrooke Therapeutics, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
DietWell™ for PKU – is designed to assist in the dietary management of Phenylketonuria (PKU), an inborn error of protein metabolism. This iPhone app guides you through your meals, snacks, and formula intake by offering phenylalanine (phe), dietary protein, formula protein equivalent (P.E.), and calorie information for over 7500 food items, specially manufactured low protein food products, metabolic formula products, Cambrooke recipes and meals, along with your Kuvan® intake, blood levels and wellness - all at the touch of your fingertips.
Use DietWell™ for PKU to:
1) Improve Dietary Compliance- learn about the phe content of your food in order to make better choices. DietWell™ for PKU provides a quick reference to more than 7500 food items. Know what each portion or recipe actually contains. Know when you need to adjust your dietary phe intake. Save your favorite foods to Favorites or add new items, recipes and meals.
2) Prepare Diet Log and export it via email in preparation for Clinic Visit. You can now easily record your dietary protein, supplemental protein, and Kuvan® intake along with your blood levels and wellness using this handy iPhone app. Many U.S. metabolic clinics recommend 3-5 days of dietary records before the clinic visit.
3) Plot data overtime.
DietWell™ for PKU app can help you better understand how dietary compliance correlates to your overall feeling “wellness”.
DietWell™ for PKU features:
• Over 7500 USDA and manufacturers' product data. Includes data on many specialty low protein food items and formula.
• Log data for multiple users.
• Easy search.
• Save your frequently used food items or recipes to Favorites.
• Add new food items, recipes or meals.
• Share custom items, recipes and meals with friends.
• Track of your Kuvan® intake, blood levels and daily wellness.
• Monitor your daily goals with the new graphing feature.
• Review, edit, and export to email (by date range) daily log entries by user.
• Enter quantities in three convenient units: gram, ounce, or serving size.
• All data is contained within the app. No Wi-Fi connection is needed except when downloading updates or exporting logs via email.
• Free frequent updates adding more nutrients, recipes, and formula products.
• Help us make your diet easier by emailing your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
All the data contained herein is part of the public domain as published by the USDA, manufacturer’s data sources, and the company’s database. No warranty regarding the nutritional accuracy is provided. The presentation of this content, the application software, and its trademarks are the copyright of Cambrooke Therapeutcs, Inc.
DietWell™ for PKU app is not intended to replace the advice of a nutritionist or health-care professional. Cambrooke recommends regular visits to your metabolic physician or dietitian.
What's New in Version 2.52
- added item serving size description field when adding a new item to the app
- fixed issue with special characters
May have to do lots of setting up
The app has everything someone would need to track phe or protein count, as well as, ability to share the information with dietician/etc. However, I'm using it for my pku toddler and have to enter new foods all the time since the only organic brand they have for babies is earths best. They do seem to have all of the gerber products though. The nice thing is entering new items is fairly simple and it's in their for future use.
Previous to this I was logging on an excel sheet but I like the portability this offers and that if I'm not sure about the phe content for a food when we're out I can use the app to look it up quickly.
It also allows you to input your blood level results so you can track them over time which is pretty cool.
I'm giving it a three because I had to input so many new foods but otherwise it would have easily gotten a five since it does everything you'd need it to. I don't usually pay for apps but I feel I got my money's worth.
Good but not great
We've been using this app for our cpku daughter for 3 months now and it works well except for a few things...
I like how you can add recipes and it calculates total phe except it doesn't have a way to input final weight of a recipe. You have to add so many grams of water to get the final weight up to get an accurate mg/g calculation.
Also, you can't just add an item to a daily log without having to put it in the database. That's very frustrating when you know your child had 10mg of phe from one cookie for example, you have to add all the information of the cookie to the database in order to add it to the log. That's time consuming.
I have been using this app now for 5 years. I have loved it. However, it crashes out of nowhere every few months. I am forced to delete it, including all of my manually entered favorites, and previous logs. There is no update to fix the crashing. I open the app, and as soon as I try to log something it crashes. I am so fed up with this issue.