NOTE: Now using MIKMidi so may need some tweaking. Help me improve it!
"Different Drummer blows my mind and that's pretty hard to do."—Dave Taub, drummer for Billy Idol, John Lennon and many more.
Don't let the name fool you. Different Drummer is a powerful rhythmic music generator for ANY instruments or samples (with harmonies) that works Very Well for drums too. It's also an amazing Midi Controller. YOU will be the Different Drummer in the world of same old, same old.
Repeating patterns, non-repeating "patterns", simple or complex, straight or poly, human or robot feel, arpeggios, chord progressions, fills, sequences and much more are at your fingertips in Different Drummer!
This is an essential tool for those seeking new beats and sequences but our customers say it best:
Most used app in the toolbox *****
"I have plenty of music apps...synths, DAWs, sequencers, beat boxes, effects, drum machines...you name it, but Different Drummer has been the MOST used of all of them."
This is your secret weapon in the quest for innovative beats and music that make sense yet defy the status quo. Different Drummer taps into the primal source of all rhythm—waves. DD puts out multi-track music which is lifelike and primal at times and out of this world at others. It's rhythmic music synthesizer that uses waves to play any sound in amazing ways that vary from electro to dubstep to tribal to classical.
This software was created with music in mind—but in the spirit of discovering what is next in music, not just finding a new way to do the same thing like so many music apps do so well. If you are a pioneer or care about where music is going, this app is for you.
Easy to start learning, always discovering more. Adjust note, rest, tie, panning, beat and dynamics waves for the ultimate range of expression. You will never exhaust the endless possibilities of Different Drummer and you are guaranteed to discover legit beats that no one has ever heard before.
No matter how many apps you have...not having Different Drummer is just sad. To not possess this musical wonder is committing a Groove Crime in your studio or live setup!
• 8 Sampler Tracks + Jam-along track with 6-wave Cyclophone Controls plus 2 harmonies on each main track.
• AudioBus 3 with State Saving, Remote Triggers and Inter-App audio out & background play
• Stereo audio recording. Export via Audioshare, Dropbox or iTunes or AudioCopy or General Pasteboard (to GarageBand for example)
• Ableton Link 3 enabled
• Progression Composer makes it easy to create guide tracks or multi-track arpeggios
• Jammer panel to play along with the music
• Jamlets panel lets you create endless action buttons for live jamming, saved with your presets
• Control drum pitches, rests, ties, dynamics, panning and beat value using additive waves
• Instant Capture in case you hear a killer beat you want saved on auto random
• Save Wave Presets to Wave Library and share with other users in Community
• 37 Preset Drum styles you can fully mess with (these are for fun, not the main purpose)
• String Wave Sets together in saved Sequences and share in Community
• Export Wave Sets or Sequences as MIDI Files (via iTunes, AudioShare, Email or Dropbox)
• Over 190 drum and sound FX samples with more added every update
• Add your own 24-bit samples via iTunes (WAV or CAF), AudioPaste or DropBox
• Over 75 musical scales to assign drums or instruments to as well as key
• Channel Volume, Filter, Distortion and Reverb Mixer
• Set Key, Tempo, Swing and Time Signature
• Automation for randomizing and morphing playback with snap-back option
• MIDI Sync Out and In
• Up to 8 Channels of MIDI Out
• Dedicated Wave for any Midi CC with Learn
• Core MIDI lets you play other synthesizers and drum machines on your iPad such as Animoog and NLog Pro or external hardware
To hear Different Drummer in action and learn more please go to www.technemedia.com
—Fixed rotated view in iPhone launch
Ratings and Reviews
The Newest Member of My One-Man Band
Different Drummer is now a magic bullet in my music composition arsenal. I have been looking for an app that will put out algorithmic but very controllable and interesting MIDI material to record into my sequencer. I enjoy “collaborating” with algorithmic sources, and because of the depth of features, I can already tell that Different Drummer will produce satisfying MIDI material for me to manipulate for a long time to come. The internal sound engine is decent as well, and I have recorded some great stuff using Inter-App Audio.
There is one issue (v4.6.1) that I hope will be resolved soon: Ableton Link integration is not functioning properly.
Thank you for your excellent review. Please contact us through the app and we'll make sure to resolve the Link issue with an update ASAP once we have the specifics.
This one is packed with so many features, the musical possibilities you can whip up with this baby are vast, to say the least. I realize that translating all of the app's bells and whistles from the iPad onto the phone version can be a challenge but it would be very awesome to see that, hopefully in the near future.
Will try to slowly add more and more...it's a challenge for sure. Thanks for the review!
Was skeptical, now proven wrong
I have been watching this app since it was launched. Always with interest but not willing to pay the outlandish starting price. I have considered it a couple times since but finally picked it up today. At first I was not really sure what to make of it, one because most synths and drum machines are pretty self explanatory. So all I can say is I'm really happy and surprised at what you can do with this app! Read the manual! It totally makes sense and shows you just what you can do in a mater of minutes. I must say that I am creating some extremely useful grooves with a different drummer. A lot of work went into this so the Dev just needs to stand at this price. It is well worth it!
- Hologramophone Research, Inc.
- 105.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © 2018 Techné Media. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.