Digital Theatre: The best of British theatre available to the world
By Digital Theatre
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Immerse yourself in the world of theatre with the Digital Theatre app. We deliver world-class productions in stunning high-definition to a global audience.
Through the app you can access the full range of Digital Theatre Originals and Digital Theatre Collections.
We capture and edit Digital Theatre Originals, working closely with directors to ensure that their artistic vision is realised to the full on screen.
Highlights of Digital Theatre Originals include: The Old Vic’s sell-out production of Arthur Miller’s The Crucible, starring Richard Armitage, Olivier Award-winning Into the Woods from Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, and Shakespeare’s classic comedy Much Ado About Nothing, starring David Tennant and Catherine Tate.
A selection of Digital Theatre titles includes:
• The Crucible: Richard Armitage stars in Arthur Miller’s classic American drama The Crucible
• Much Ado About Nothing: David Tennant and Catherine Tate are reunited on stage in Much Ado About Nothing
• Into the Woods: Regent's Parks Open Air Theatre's Olivier Award-winning revival of Into the Woods
• Private Lives: Toby Stephens and Anna Chancellor star in Coward's hilarious comedy Private Lives
• Ghosts: Lesley Manville stars in Richard Eyre’s triple Olivier Award-winning production of Ibsen’s Ghosts
• King Lear: Jonathan Pryce stars as King Lear in Michael Attenborough's sell-out Almeida Theatre production King Lear
• A Doll’s House: Young Vic's award-winning production of A Doll's House starring Hattie Morahan
• All My Sons: David Suchet and Zoë Wanamaker star in the sell-out West End revival of All My Sons
• Long Day’s Journey into Night: David Suchet returns to the West End in Eugene O'Neill's Pulitzer Prize-winning masterpiece Long Day’s Journey into Night
• Macbeth: David Morrissey returns to Liverpool to give his Macbeth at the Everyman Theatre
• As You Like It: Royal Shakespeare Company Artistic Director Michael Boyd directs As You Like It
• Far from the Madding Crowd: English Touring Theatre's rousing staging of Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd
• Lovesong: Abi Morgan and Frantic Assembly's haunting and beautiful Lovesong
• Beautiful Thing: The acclaimed 20th anniversary production of Jonathan Harvey's seminal play Beautiful Thing
• Over There: Luke and Harry Treadaway star in Mark Ravenhill's Over There for the Royal Court
• Billy the Kid: Michael Morpurgo's Billy the Kid staged at the Unicorn Theatre by Tony Graham
• Comedy of Errors: RSC and Told by an Idiot give a contemporary twist to Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors
Download the app and also have access to the Digital Theatre Collections. These are collections of titles curated in partnership with: the English National Ballet, Glyndebourne, the London Symphony Orchestra, Perfect Pitch, the Royal Opera House and Shakespeare’s Globe.
Collections titles include popular operas La Bohéme and La Traviata, classic ballets such as Swan Lake and Shakespeare’s iconic love story, Romeo and Juliet.
Digital Theatre productions can be streamed to the app when you are online. Create an account through the app, or use your existing Digital Theatre login to access your library.
Productions can be played on your HDTV using AirPlay and Apple TV - simply tap the AirPlay icon when watching any trailer or production.
Online Rentals are available in your library for 30 days after purchase and can be viewed for 48 hours from the start of playback.
Downloads and HD downloads can be viewed as many times as you like.
What's New in Version 1.39
- Fix for playback crash on iOS 6.x
- Resolves a rare issue with purchasing productions
We are continuing to work hard to bring further playback improvements to you. As part of this work this will be the last version to support iOS 5.x and 6.x.
I downloaded this app because it was impossible to watch my purchase online because it just freezes up. The app is even worse. If you have to press home screen for any reason while watching, the video goes right back to the beginning. And you can't cue it to where you were because it just jumps around when you try to do that. It just moves to whatever part of the show it wants to. If you manage to get it playing at whatever random place it lands on, the video and sound is guaranteed to freeze up completely. If you're lucky the sound keeps playing. Of course the video just stays on one frame so it's impossible to watch and listen simultaneously. I haven't seen any streaming service ANYWHERE that works so poorly online AND on your iPhone. My recommendation is to find some shady download site and get whatever play you want to see. Nothing could be worse than using this company. I've literally been robbed by Digital Theatre: I've wasted two hours trying to watch a video that I bought but obviously can never watch. Don't be stupid like me and ignore the negative reviews. And don't waste a penny of your money on these charlatan scammers.
This is the best!
I don't understand the bad reviews. You can download the productions you purchase on your computer. The app is for streaming. I suspect the complaints have more yo do with the users wifi limits. Digital theatre is an amazing resource for theatre lovers. I live in America and sadly cannot afford to pay the high ticket prices for Broadway. Thanks to this app I have been able to view some of the finest classical theatre productions around. I have also been able to introduce my young daughter to Shakespeare through digital theatre and she is hooked. Nothing else is available like this service anywhere. If you are a theatre lover this app is a godsend!
So, I am trying to watch Much Ado About Nothing. The video constantly freezes, or the video stops but the audio keeps going. I tried to get it going again by closing and reopening the video, and even that has issues. Sometimes it picks up where I left off only to freeze a few seconds later. Sometimes the video goes back to the beginning, and the app won't allow me to fast forward to the part I was watching. I'm quite upset because I was really looking forward to watching this production. Please fix this so people can watch the videos they PAID for.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jan 19, 2015
- Version: 1.39
- Size: 21.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: DigitalTheatre.com Limited
- © 2014 Digital Theatre
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Much Ado About Nothing - HD$15.99
- Much Ado About Nothing - SD$12.99
- Into The Woods - HD$15.99
- Merrily We Roll Along - HD$15.99
- The Crucible - HD$15.99
- Into The Woods - SD$12.99
- Private Lives - HD$15.99
- Merrily We Roll Along - SD$12.99
- The Crucible - SD$12.99
- A Doll's House - SD$12.99