Dirac HD Player
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Thinking of buying expensive earphones? Try this first! Dirac HD Player is an easy-to-use music player based on advanced technology that genuinely improves the sound from Apple’s original Earphones, EarPods and In-Ear Headphones.
- NO SOUND EFFECT, but instead tailored to control the acoustic properties of the original iPhone earphones – the only way to achieve a genuine improvement that causes less listening fatigue.
- NATURAL SOUND with increased clarity in music and voices. Deepens the bass, removes resonances and acoustic problems.
- NO COMPLICATED SETTINGS, select your earphone model and hear the difference by switching ON/OFF.
- VERY COST EFFICIENT and green alternative to buying expensive earphones.
- USES THE USUAL SIMPLE FUNCTIONALY that you are accustomed to with your iPhone, while the optimization runs in the background.
Listen to music from your iTunes library with improved sound quality. No technical know-how is needed. Under the hood however, it uses technology normally used in some of the world’s best hifi, studio and cinema sound systems.
Due to physical constraints, it is impossible to design a perfect earphone solely with hardware components. Dirac’s audio scientists have made precise acoustic measurements of the original iPhone earphones, allowing a tailored digital software processor based on Dirac HD Sound® technology.
Like a pair of glasses improves the perception of poor eyesight, this technology improves and corrects the sound, so that it becomes cleaner and closer to a perfect sound reproduction. It has nothing to do with sound effects or graphic equalizers used in other apps.
The sound improvement is tailored for Apple’s original Earphones, EarPods and In-Ear Headphones. The app should not be used with other earphones.
Utilizes the iTunes music library.
DRM protected music is not playable by Dirac HD Player (or any other 3rd party app).
Please note that iTunes Match and iTunes in the Cloud not yet fully supported.
Dirac Research AB is a Swedish audio research firm that specializes in digital sound optimization solutions. The company was founded in 2001 by researchers from Uppsala University, in Sweden. Today Dirac supplies sound technology to some of the most high performing brands in the world, including BMW, Bentley, Rolls Royce and Datasat Digital Entertainment.
What's New in Version 1.3
Version 1.3 of Dirac HD Player and Dirac HD Player Lite were released in early 2014. Unfortunately, we have not kept up with the iOS development. Many users have had difficulties getting the app to work after an iOS update. However, as far as we have seen, the app usually works as intended if you uninstall the app then re-install it after an iOS update. If you're hesitant to pay for the full version, then please first go ahead and try the free version called "Dirac HD Player Lite".
Lite and Full version
- Minor fixes and improvements including support for time progress view in locked screen mode and a new application icon
Full version only
- Added support for Apple In-Ear Headphones
- Added functionality to remember playing state between sessions, including playlist, track, point in time, shuffle state, and repeat state.
- Improved shuffle function. Now shuffles the whole playlist in advance rather than randomly picking the next track. Toggle the shuffle button off/on to re-shuffle the list.
- Improved repeat function. Now allows skipping back past the first track to get to the last.
Reinstalling and restarting worked for me
I wasn't able to use this app for the longest time (because I updated to a newer version of iOS, I think), but I finally got Dirac HD Player working again by uninstalling the app, installing it again and then restarting my iPhone.
In regards to the app's performance, I have some minor complaints and suggestions. When using Apple In-Ear Headphones (i.e. ADDIEM), turning on Dirac HD Sound cuts out some detail. Maybe Dirac's in-ear setting is for Apple's older single driver in-ear headphones, though. Also, the app doesn't have gapless playback support. Songs available for download through iCloud are displayed, but I'd like a way to hide them to see only the music stored on my iPhone. I'd also like a way to find my music by first specifying the genre.
When I open it up it works but then it glitches past the artist list and then I tap a song it crashes over and over again. The sound quality is fantastic.
Makes EarPods sound much better
It's impressive, I've left my EarPods in the junk drawer but now they go head to head with other earphones I've paid over $100 for.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Feb 24, 2014
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 1.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dirac Research AB
- © 2012 Dirac Research AB
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).