It’s your TV. Take it with you. Download the DIRECTV app, a companion to your DIRECTV service, and enjoy a world of entertainment. Watch Live TV and recorded shows, catch up on the latest movies and shows with On Demand, and schedule recordings on your DVR—no additional equipment needed, at no extra cost. Plus now stream DIRECTV data-free on AT&T.
• Watch thousands of your favorite movies and shows, Live or On Demand
• New! Data Free TV lets you stream DIRECTV on your devices, anywhere—without using your data
(Requires eligible DIRECTV & AT&T data services. Excl. & restr. apply. Content varies and must be streamed through the DIRECTV App. Use subject to wireless service terms including those related to data speed. Streaming may not work at reduced speeds.)
• New! Stream or download your home DVR recordings to your devices. Watch anywhere—no internet connection required
• Enjoy the latest releases from premium channels you subscribe to like HBO®, Cinemax®, STARZ®, ENCORE®, and SHOWTIME®
• Switch screens! Watch your favorite show on one device then tap a button to send it to the big screen. And vice versa—send a show from your TV to your device and take your content with you!
• Record your favorite movies and shows from anywhere!
• Content running long? Add extra time to your recording and don’t miss a second of your favorite content
• iPad® 2, iPad® Mini and iPad® Air running iOS 9 or later
• DIRECTV customers must have a residential home account registered on DIRECTV’s website to access the DIRECTV for Tablets.
• Watching select Live TV Streaming channels outside the home requires an active Wi-Fi or mobile network connection. For best performance, connect to a strong Wi-Fi signal.
• Available content is based on your current programming package and premium service. Not all content is available to stream at this time
• Live TV Streaming in-home only channels and remote control requires a Wi-Fi connection to your home network and a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models R22, and HR20 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection. Remote control also works with HD receivers (models H21, H23 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection
• DVR streaming and downloading requires Internet-connected Genie HD DVR model HR44 or higher and compatible mobile device. To download, must be in-home on same Wi-Fi network connected to DVR
• Data Free TV requires DIRECTV & AT&T Mobility postpaid data service or an eligible prepaid monthly plan. App download, advertisements and non-streaming app activity may incur data usage
• Scheduling a recording requires a Wi-Fi, or mobile network connection and a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD DVR
• Receivers do not require phone or Internet connection to schedule a recording
In rare instances, scheduled recording(s) may not be recognized. Only available on certain receivers.
For complete details on technical requirements, please visit: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3426
For more information on the DIRECTV App, please visit: http://directv.com/appfaq
Bug fixes and stability enhancements
Ratings and Reviews
I bought an iPad specifically to use the deal Direct Tv advertised of streaming your TV anywhere. It used to work every now and then. But now most the channels don’t work. They either don’t show up on my channel list or I get an error message saying my receivers is in use although I was told I could have up to five devices on the app. Or I’m told this content is unavailable even if it’s not a sports thing that maybe would be blacked out. Every time I call DirecTV they have no idea what to tell me, but they read me the same lines saying “the channel lineup is being renegotiated and some channels may not be available while they’re being renegotiated.” Or they say “the channels you get streaming are not the same as the ones you get on your home Wi-Fi network.” But I know those things are lies because they told me the same since Christmas Day last year and yet sometimes it does work sometimes it doesn’t . No one at DirecTV customer service or tech-support knows how to help get this fixed. If I could take these two tablets back and get my money back for the months I’ve already paid for and have them off my account I would. But I really just wish it would work as they advertised it and as it sometimes works. As it is now this is a useless terrible app. And the people DirecTV do not know how to support it.
Why is the volume limited on an iPad? Can't hear it!!!
Is there anyone on your development team thinking this app's design is any good? It's not. Case in point, simply changing the channel while watching live TV on an iPad Pro: tap picture to bring up frame. Tap icon to reduce picture. Tap and drag picture half out of sight to reveal channel list. Scroll painfully slowly to desired channel and tap. If it doesn't crash (50/50), go back to picture and drag box up so you can see entire frame. Tap the icon in lower right corner to have picture be full frame. That's how you change the channel. Seriously? You could try typing channel # in search box but that doesn't work. You could type in network name in search box and scroll through that list to find the actual network channel live. But I surf to see what's on, not to patronize by channel. And why is the volume maxed out so frickin' low?!? Terrible design, surely you know that? Optimum was sooo much better. Guess that's why Optimum costs more. Directv costs less up front because you get less. Buyer beware.
Find a friend with Dish
Directv has been great for creating something that plugs into a TV and works. For years they had the best interface, and with their latest refresh I think they again surpassed Dish, however their ipad App has never worked, and just continues to be disappointing. My favorite thing right now, is when I have every TV off in the entire house, no other Computer/ipad/phone has the Directv app, and it still says I can’t use it on my IPad because it is streaming somewhere else. NO IT ISN’T.
You know what does work, Dish’s app. It streams without lagging like Directv when it does work. I’ve never had an error when trying to stream something at my home or on the road. The menu’s and design are intuitive. If this app doesn’t get fixed so it works at least 50% of the time I try to use it, my next purchase will be Dish. Until then I’ve found a friend, and he is more than willing to let me tape my sports on his Dish so I can stream on the road. If you are like me and travel a lot, a friend with Dish is the answer, because this thing never works.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.