DIRECTV App for iPad
By DIRECTV, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
It’s your TV. Take it with you. Download the DIRECTV app, a companion to your DIRECTV service, and enjoy a world of entertainment. Watch Live TV and recorded shows, catch up on the latest movies and shows with On Demand, and schedule recordings on your DVR—no additional equipment needed, at no extra cost. Plus now stream DIRECTV data-free on AT&T.
• Watch thousands of your favorite movies and shows, Live or On Demand
• New! Data Free TV lets you stream DIRECTV on your devices, anywhere—without using your data
(Requires eligible DIRECTV & AT&T data services. Excl. & restr. apply. Content varies and must be streamed through the DIRECTV App. Use subject to wireless service terms including those related to data speed. Streaming may not work at reduced speeds.)
• New! Stream or download your home DVR recordings to your devices. Watch anywhere—no internet connection required
• Enjoy the latest releases from premium channels you subscribe to like HBO®, Cinemax®, STARZ®, ENCORE®, and SHOWTIME®
• Switch screens! Watch your favorite show on one device then tap a button to send it to the big screen. And vice versa—send a show from your TV to your device and take your content with you!
• Record your favorite movies and shows from anywhere!
• Content running long? Add extra time to your recording and don’t miss a second of your favorite content
• iPad® 2, iPad® Mini and iPad® Air running iOS 9 or later
• DIRECTV customers must have a residential home account registered on DIRECTV’s website to access the DIRECTV for Tablets.
• Watching select Live TV Streaming channels outside the home requires an active Wi-Fi or mobile network connection. For best performance, connect to a strong Wi-Fi signal.
• Available content is based on your current programming package and premium service. Not all content is available to stream at this time
• Live TV Streaming in-home only channels and remote control requires a Wi-Fi connection to your home network and a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models R22, and HR20 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection. Remote control also works with HD receivers (models H21, H23 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection
• DVR streaming and downloading requires Internet-connected Genie HD DVR model HR44 or higher and compatible mobile device. To download, must be in-home on same Wi-Fi network connected to DVR
• Data Free TV requires residential DIRECTV service and active AT&T postpaid data service on eligible device. App download, advertisements and non-streaming app activity may incur data usage
• Scheduling a recording requires a Wi-Fi, or mobile network connection and a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD DVR
• Receivers do not require phone or Internet connection to schedule a recording
In rare instances, scheduled recording(s) may not be recognized. Only available on certain receivers.
For complete details on technical requirements, please visit: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3426
For more information on the DIRECTV App, please visit: http://directv.com/appfaq
What's New in Version 5.0.105
Introducing new ways to access your favorite movies & TV shows!
New App Features:
·Download & Go: Take your purchased or rented movies and TV shows with you. Download them straight to your eligible devices in and out of home, enjoy them offline or on-the-go
·Resume Watching: Pick-up where you left off on any supported device
·Access your collection of movies and TV shows from anywhere using the "Purchased" tab in the Playlist section
I have been using this app for over a month and have not had any issues at all. There area few improvements that I wish would be made such as keeping the current program playing while accessing the guide like on the regular DTV at home. Also when the app is opened I wish it would know that it is my iPad instead of having to go through several button pushes to tell itI want to watch on my iPad. After. All it is an iPad app so it cannot be that difficult to just go to the last channel watched and then let me pick something else if I want. Overall this is a great app for mobile viewing or continuing to watch a show when moving to another room or outside.
The app will not work with my tv. Also direct offers great packages and gear discounts, but you can't get any discounts or free service updates if you have been with them for a long time. We have been with them for 17 yrs. Faithfully stayed with them all these years and yet our bill has gone UP and NO updates or upgrades. We have the sane basic receivers that we had 17 yrs ago, yet the bill has quadrupled up to about $130!! Yet anyone new can get free HD receivers in 3-4 rooms for $25/ month. Maybe I need to see what other company would like my dedication! I have had to pay extra to get my receivers replaced when they died - still bottom of the line! No appreciation. And the app will not work with my old outdated receivers unless I upgrade. After 17 yrs, it should be automatic and FREE!! Time to move on from being treated like a POS! Shame on your customer appreciation direct tv!!
******* CRITICAL BUG ********
Update June 30, 2017
When using the app as a remote control for the TV and selecting shows from the guide, the app will default to renting or buying a title which is currently live on a no-charge DirecTV channel. There is a "watch on live TV" button but it is not visible by default and you have to descend two menu levels before it is available.
This came up today after selecting GoodFellas on SpikeHD. All I wanted to do was change the channel to 241 but instead found the app asking to confirm a rental.
This is extremely careless programming at best, and malicious at worst. I will be filing a consumer protection complaint and request Apple pull this version from App Store distribution.
Update June 27, 2017
Absolutely unusable now and takes several moments to link to the DVR/Receiver on the local network. What a waste and no way to revert to a more functional version of this POS app.
------- Previous review below ---------
This is THE most frustrating app that I have on my iPad. Every single update takes one more step toward total un-usability.
This latest example of poor programming initially only draws half of the rows for the guide as you scroll, then sometimes fills in the missing slots seconds later.