DIRECTV App for iPad
By DIRECTV, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
We’ve packed a world of entertainment in one little app. Watch live TV, catch up on the latest movies On Demand, or enjoy the shows you recorded to your DVR Playlist. With the DIRECTV app, your favorite entertainment always goes where you go. Read on for more info.
We’ve made tons of awesome changes recently. Here are some crowd favorites:
• Watch thousands of your favorite movies and shows, live or on Demand
• Enjoy the latest releases on DIRECTV CINEMA and buzz-worthy entertainment from top premium channels like HBO®, Cinemax®, STARZ®, ENCORE®, and SHOWTIME®
• With GenieGO, you can enjoy your recorded shows anytime, anywhere. You can also download your recordings to your device and watch them when you’re off the grid
• Start watching an On Demand program on one device, pause, then continue watching on any other device
• Binge watch with ease. When you finish watching an episode of a show, the next episode will start playing automatically
• Start watching a show on your device, then tap to send it to your big screen. And vice versa—send it from your TV to your mobile device
• Get quick access to your favorite entertainment right from your app homescreen. Customize it to only show what you like, for example “Live TV Streaming” or “Popular in Your Area”
• Make wise decisions with detailed program descriptions, cast & crew info, photos, recommendations, and parental ratings
• Tap the new “Free” filter to browse the movies and shows that don’t require extra payment
• Set your DVR to record movies and shows from anywhere. You can record a single episode of a show or an entire series with just one tap
• Add more time to the start or end of your recording request so you won’t miss a second of the action—even if your program runs overtime
• Use your mobile device to pause, play, and rewind the program that’s playing on your TV
• Set parental controls and enjoy peace of mind over what your kids are watching
- iPad® 2, iPad® Mini and iPad® Air running iOS 8 or later
- DIRECTV customers must have a residential home account registered on DIRECTV’s website to access the DIRECTV for Tablets.
- Watching select Live TV Streaming channels outside the home requires an active Wi-Fi or mobile network connection. For best performance, connect to a strong Wi-Fi signal.
- Available content is based on your current programming package and premium service. Not all content is available to stream at this time.
- Live TV Streaming in-home only channels and remote control requires a Wi-Fi connection to your home network and a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models R22, and HR20 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection. Remote control also works with HD receivers (models H21, H23 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection.
- Scheduling a recording requires a Wi-Fi, or mobile network connection and a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD DVR.
- Receivers do not require phone or Internet connection to schedule a recording.
For complete details on technical requirements, please visit: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3426/
For Tips, Tricks and Customer Support, please visit: http://forums.directv.com
This DIRECTV App features Nielsen’s proprietary measurement software which will allow you to contribute to
http://www.nielsen.com/digitalprivacy for more information about this Nielsen measurement feature.
What's New in Version 4.2.121
Enhancements and bug fixes.
Sorry We Switched Providers
When you've had an app that really lived up to its promises and what I have with this provider is absolutely heartbreaking. I can't believe we left perfection to come to this. Prior to signing with Direct, we had the Dish Anywhere App, IT WAS EXCELLENT! Because we travel a lot, we could watch any of our shows from our iPads, even in the Bahamas. We were talked into switching to Direct with promises of better programming, NFL package, direct tv app, many channels, 3 months of HBO, and sales pitches only to find out after installation that you can't even get live streaming of local stations at home or out of town and the app is LOUSY. And Direct, you want your customers to write a review, did you count the number of negative reviews (45) you've received out of the 50 that are shown for this app? YOU HAVE PROBLEMS THAT NEED TO BE CORRECTED. YOU'VE MERGED WITH ATT BUT THE QUALITY OF THIS APP IS NOT MEETING PUBLIC DEMAND. In order to PERFECT this app, check with Dish, they have it down to a science. Oh how I wish we were still with with Dish. I doubt that this will be shown but if improvements are made, all is well.
A Million Miles and a Ways to Go
It has been somewhat improved from the last fiasco. I can at least prepare and download some content. GenieGo still seems to think deleted shows need to be prepared which is annoying, but nowhere near as annoying as the playback of downloaded content. More than half of the time, I receive an error message indicating “streaming is currently unavailable” when trying to playback DOWNLOADED programs. I try disconnecting from WiFi to make sure the app only tries to access the downloaded content, but it does not work either. Like I said, the app is leaps and bounds from where it was when attempting to download anything would cause instantaneous crashing, but for some reason (incompetence) they still have yet to master allowing playback of content. Just a little more effort on their part, and the app could function properly. I’m not going to waste my time waiting for it to function properly. Instead, I’m going to wish for something more realistic, like world peace.
Worthless for offline GenieGo Use
The app is horrible if you want to watch GenieGo content offline on your iPad. It is obvious the Directv programmers do not use their own product for offline viewing. I spent many days downloading content for offline viewing (a painful process to begin with). The video player would not work in airplane mode. Once I connected to the Internet again, all content was erased. The first time it happened I thought I might have done something wrong since everything used to work just fine with the old GenieGo app for the iPad. When I went through the same process for a second trip and had the exact same results I knew it was a Directv problem and not my problem. The GenieGo app still works just fine on the iPhone. Please fix this app for the iPad or give us back the old GenieGo app for the iPad. Until then, don't waste your time using this app for offline GenieGo viewing.