By DIRECTV, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
It’s your TV. Take it with you. Download the DIRECTV app, a companion to your DIRECTV service, and enjoy a world of entertainment. Watch Live TV and recorded shows, catch up on the latest movies and shows with On Demand, and schedule recordings on your DVR—no additional equipment needed, at no extra cost. Plus now stream DIRECTV data-free on AT&T.
• Watch thousands of your favorite movies and shows, Live or On Demand
• Data Free TV lets you stream DIRECTV on your devices, anywhere—without using your data
(Requires eligible DIRECTV & AT&T data services. Excl. & restr. apply. Content varies and must be streamed through the DIRECTV App. Use subject to wireless service terms including those related to data speed. Streaming may not work at reduced speeds.)
• Stream or download your home DVR recordings to your devices!
• Enjoy the latest releases from premium channels!
• Switch screens! Watch your favorite show on one device then tap a button to send it to the big screen!
• Record your favorite movies and shows from anywhere!
• Content running long? Add extra time to your recording and don’t miss a second of your favorite content.
• See what’s playing on your TV, control playback, set your DVR, and more with the DIRECTV remote widget*
• Have an Apple Watch? Use it to control your TV!
Before using your iOS Widget or Apple Watch, make sure your receiver is set up properly. Go to your receiver’s MENU, select Settings & Help > Settings > Whole-Home > External Device. Make sure “External Access,” “Current Program” and “Recordings” are set to Allow and “Recently Watched” is set to Share.
• iPhone® 4S or later, iPod touch® 5th generation running iOS 9+
• DIRECTV customers must have a residential home account registered on DIRECTV’s website to access DIRECTV for iPhone
•Core app functionality requires use of your location data and Public IP address
• Watching select Live TV Streaming channels outside the home requires an active Wi-Fi or mobile network connection. For best performance, connect to a strong Wi-Fi signal
• Available content is based on your current programming package and premium service. Not all content is available to stream at this time
• Live TV Streaming in-home only channels and remote control requires a Wi-Fi connection to your home network and a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models R22, and HR20 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection. Remote control also works with HD receivers (models H21, H23 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection
• DVR streaming and downloading requires Internet-connected Genie HD DVR model HR44 or higher and compatible mobile device. To download, must be in-home on same Wi-Fi network connected to DVR
• Data Free TV requires residential DIRECTV service and active AT&T postpaid data service on eligible device. App download, advertisements and non-streaming app activity may incur data usage
• Scheduling a recording requires a Wi-Fi, or mobile network connection and a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD DVR
• Receivers do not require phone or Internet connection to schedule a recording
In rare instances, scheduled recording(s) may not be recognized. Only available on certain receivers.
For complete details on technical requirements, please visit: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3426
For more information on the DIRECTV App, please visit: http://directv.com/appfaq
What's New in Version 4.9.603
Thanks for using the DIRECTV app! We’re working hard to improve your experience! Here’s what’s new in this update.
Not that great
I have had this app for about 3 years now. I travel a lot, so I use this app on a regular basis. You have to be on the same wifi network to originally connect your directv receiver to the app, but once you do that you should be good to go when you are away from home. However, sometimes it disconnects from my receiver at home in which I can't watch while I'm on the go away from my home network. This is pretty frustrating. About 40% of the time the quality is poor and blurry (if it decides to work- even with great wifi). Most of the time the app itself cuts out while watching an episode of a show. Which sometimes doesn't act as if I have been watching it, so you have to start from the beginning again. (The app doesn't allow to fast forward so this gets very annoying). I don't know why DirecTV doesn't spend more time on perfecting this app. It's very disappointing. When it does work (which is rare) it works well.
Won't play downloaded content...
With this latest updated, previously downloaded content would not play. I was in a poor signal strength area. The app would not play the downloaded content because of a detected network problem. I guess it couldn't "phone hom." I'M TRYING TO PLAY DOWNLOADED CONTENT. I don't care about the quality of the network connection.
I then put the iPhone in Airplane Mode. The app acknowledged this fact. I selected my show to play and it said "Loading..." Then... boom.. right back to the downloaded content list. I tried the 2nd & 3rd shows on the list... same thing. I could play no downloaded content in Airplane mode.
Once back in good signal strength area, the app complained about a network problem, even though the app started (logged in) just fine. And... did I mention... I'M TRYING TO PLAY DOWNLOADED CONTENT! So... once it got "hosed," it stayed hosed. Really? Why can't I play downloaded content under ANY network condition? Can someone at DirecTV/AT&T please look into this?
Did Spicer design this?
What a cluster****! Slowest, most disorganized, illogical, buggy, frustrating app I've ever used. It so bad it's as if it was intentionally designed to be the worst.
DIRECTV designers-try the spectrum app: Loads in seconds, not minutes; change channels in seconds with a swipe and touch; opens directly to your last channel when brought from background; responsive, easy to use guide; the list goes on...
My experience away from home has been better than at home. At home, I get network errors on some channels but not others during same session while it's obvious from other devices online doing things unrelated to dtv.
Unlike dtv, spectrum's app is easy to use, logically designed, responsive and useful. Only drawback to spectrum's app is it requires a spectrum cable acct and limits what you can watch away from home.
It's so much better than dtv, I'd pay a monthly fee to be able to use their app w/o a cable acct.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Mar 20, 2017
- Version: 4.9.603
- Size: 152 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: DIRECTV
- ©2016 DIRECTV, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.