Discord - Chat for Gamers
By Hammer & Chisel Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Discord is the only cross-platform voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. With the iOS app you can stay connected to all your Discord voice and text channels even while AFK. It is perfect for chatting with team members, seeing who is playing online, and catching up on text conversations you may have missed.
Download Discord and experience modern game communication:
- Voice chat: Join voice channels and chat with your group
- Real-time text messaging: Share video, images, and text in rich chat
- Push notifications: Never miss a thing with @mentions and direct messages
- Instant Invite: Easily add friends to your server by sharing the Instant Invite link
- Direct messages: Send one-to-one private messages
- Multiple server support: Manage all your game groups in one client
- Organizable channels: Keep discussions on topic through structured communication
Have questions, problems, or feedback? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's New in Version 1.8.1
**UPDATES** Fixed the voice chat's crash/no route issue for T-Mobile users on iOS 10.2+
Did you catch our 2017 teaser including Search, Video Chat, Screen Sharing, Audit Logs, and Channel Organization? Peep it at blog.discordapp.com.
That New iOS Hotness:
- You can now view your Recent Mentions and feel the disappointment when it was just an @everyone (you can filter those out though, after the initial sadness).
- You can now adjust pins and permissions on a per channel basis with ease and finesse. It’s like doing yoga with your fingers.
- Long press to pin a message. “Long Press” also sounds like a yoga pose.
- You can also access channel settings from the server menu for an optimized and efficient approach. Keep lean.
- You can now transfer server ownership on mobile. FROM ONE LEADER TO THE NEXT, THY SERVER IS YOURS.
- Fixed text overflow in webhooks because we were running out of towels.
Discord is the better than Skype
I had used Skype and been very pleased with it for chatting with friends while playing my favorite games. However as of recently on Skype everyone can remove others from Skype calls whenever. So it got annoying fast when I was in the middle of a game and kept getting kicked from the call I was in. But, when one of my friends found out about Discord everything about it was so much better. Microphone quality was better, people didn't cut out nearly as much, the leader of the Discord server could make separate calls and text channels, and there could be roles established within the call by the leader. For example let's say you have someone that likes to spam chat (which btw there is a limit on in Discord, but people will try to do it anyway), then the leader can ban them from chat and they can still talk in the call. There is also server, as well as personal muting and deafening. It's overall the best thing that I have used to talk with friends. If I had to state one flaw, it would probably be that it isn't available on PS4 also. If you don't have Discord get it!
Best Communication App Right Now
I've used several applications for gaming. Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, and even Steam's awful voice chat.
Discord is Leader of the Pack right now by a long shot. Why? Low impact so it runs silky smooth no matter what setup you're using. Voices are clear and the server setup is just as good if not better than even TeamSpeak. Best of all; Discord servers are free and there's no hidden costs. No paying to unlock more slots, no paying for better service, etc etc just literally free servers with no strings attached at all.
My only gripe (and it's a small one) is that there's not enough options available to you to customize the app. Seems like when I'm on computer the incoming voices are all quiet compared to everything else. On Ventrilo I used to just turn it up to like 5 or 6 but Discord only allows for 200%. No options to customize Text To Speech (Phonetic on Ventrilo) when people join your channel either. Again, small complaint that will probably be fixed as this app ages. So far it's aged magnificently.
What it does have that makes it so great to me is that there's a News Feed basically and I can control who posts what and we all see what's posted no matter when we log on. Makes it easy to plan online hangout sessions and whatnot. I would highly recommend.
Discord really make Skype look bad and I love it!
I've been using discord since April 2015 and they still cease to amaze me with every updates. Who would have thought that I'd get excited before the update comes out.
Discord has its own server where you can keep track of future updates. It's fast and reliable, no crashes since last year when they migrated to a new server base. Good voice quality and easily customizable roles. Custom emoji in the server is 👀👌🏻🔥💯. Low ram usage with no lag and fast start up when compared to Skype. The best part is... ITS FREE! Although they have service coming in soon but you don't have to get the service to use discord.
tl;dr Discord is great, Never used that program that is really outdated with database and server aka Skype. LOVE YALL AND KEEP IT UP. 💜💜💜💜💜💜