By Discovery Communications
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Introducing Discovery VR, a new way to see your world. Discovery has always been about driving curiosity – exploring new places, characters and ideas. Virtual reality allows us a new opportunity to tell these kinds of stories, immersing you in experiences like never before. We’re excited about what this new medium might show us, and will be adding new content regularly, including:
• Exclusive content from your favorite shows – like Gold Rush, Survivorman and MythBusters
• Heart-pounding adventures from incredible camera angles – like mountain biking, surfing and freeboarding
• Underwater explorations like the shark-infested shipwrecks off Stuart Cove’s
• Survival tips and tricks through off-the-grid treks
• And stunning celebrations of our incredible planet – like a hike through the giant California redwoods or early morning on the Pacific Ocean
What's New in Version 1.4.0
• We've added streaming video playback! This means substantially decreased load times and less buffering. As always, please make sure you are using a strong internet connection
• Higher quality videos
• Touch panning
• Support for stereoscopic 3D (depth of field) videos
• Bug fixes
We are working on offline playback so you can save and watch your favorite VR experiences.
We are always improving and thinking up new ways to bring engaging VR content to you. If you have any feedback or experience any issues, please feel free to email us at Discovery_VR@discovery.com.
Have to keep taking phone out of headset
The 360 degree video content in this app is great! Too bad each video is in VR, but the user interface isn't. Unless you want to replay the same video you just watched, you have to take your phone out of the headset, then find the video you want, then put your phone back in the headset to view it. This kills the experience. Take note of what Jaunt is doing, and VR Galaxy. They use a VR interface to browse the content quite well. In fact, Jaunt is using some of your content.
Bottom line is, if you are going to make a VR app, then it should be a VR app. All this in-app back and forth gets old fast.
Passable, but has issues
It does the job, but the interface is a pain. Taking the phone out, choosing another video, hitting cardboard mode - though that's not the viewer I have, don't know if it even matters - then rushing to slap it back in, so I can enjoy thirty seconds of immersive experience. It's a great proof of concept. Now it just needs to get off the floor.
Cardboard mode video freezes
This app is AMAZING it has such a great variety of locations.
BUT when I play a video in 'cardboard mode' it freezes. Only the video not the audio though. I am on an iPhone 5
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jul 27, 2016
- Version: 1.4.0
- Size: 22.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Discovery Communications
- © 2016 Discovery Communications, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.