Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Display Maid allows you to save and restore window locations based on your display configuration.
If you have a laptop that you use with one or more external displays, and you're tired of having to rearrange your windows every time you connect/disconnect your display, then Display Maid is for you.
With Display Maid you can:
• Arrange your windows the way you like then and then save the positions of those windows.
• Restore the last saved set of window positions with a single click, or keyboard shortcut.
• Windows can be saved/restored globally, or by individual app.
• Window layouts are owned by a specific display configuration. Save one set with a single display, save another with multiple, those layouts will only restore with the appropriate display configuration.
• Let Display Maid automatically restore window positions when a display is connected/disconnected.
What's New in Version 2.0
Display Maid has been redesigned to work better with OS X Yosemite and have a simpler, more streamlined user experience.
No Spaces support?
I downloaded this to try it out. I was hoping for something that would let me arrange my windows one way when I’m plugged in to my two external monitors, and a completely different way when running on just the laptop screen. I’m set up with separate Spaces on each display, and I tested by unplugging my external monitors, moving the windows where I wanted them on my laptop-only setup, and then plugging my monitors back in.
As best I can tell the “Auto Restore” setting doesn’t do anything if you move any of your windows between unplugging your monitors and plugging them back in. If you explicitly save and restore window positions, it seems to move them around on the (x,y) coordinate space, but it *doesn’t* put move them onto a different Space if they’re in the wrong one.
So, not helpful in my case. I guess I’m going to the trouble of learning how to configure Slate instead.
Perfect App, Great Support!
If you regularly plug into an external monitor, particularly with a laptop, Display Maid eliminates the chore of resizing and repositioning your windows - exactly as advertised. I know it seems silly, but this saves probaly 20 minutes a day for me.
While Display Maid 1.X was great, the FREE update to 2.0 has been a fantastic update. The program is much more responsive and fluid (not that it wasn’t plenty responsive before).
Lastly, I had a small edge case problem during the upgrade. I emailed support and got feedback extremely quickly, solving my problem. This is a developer that cares about its product. I THOROUGHLY endorse Display Maid and Funk-iSoft (the developer).