DjVu Reader is an application that allows you to browse through DjVu of documents of any size (in page count; some documents are so large in image size that they are not suitable to be viewed on the iPad, like charts etc). It features an active zooming capability, pan displacements, vertical scrolling, fullscreen reading.
Supported file type include:
- djvu files (not secure djvu though, which are encrypted djvu files, indirect files only if all parts are in the same folder)
- pdf files
- txt, rtf, doc files
- epub library management, browser and reader
- chm documents (2.0.0)
- zip creation and unzipping
- image files (gif, jpg, tiff)
- others will follow.
It has many features:
- Airdrop support
- In document search ability in djvu files (1.4.0).
- In app customization of main features (1.4.0).
- iTunes file sharing support
- Dropbox support
- iCloud support
- FTP server included which allows synchronization with your desktop structure
- import documents from other apps
- remember last read position
- usable bookmarks(outline) if available (in PDF and DjVu documents)
- editable bookmarks(outline) in DjVu documents
- send by email
- open in... feature to open documents with other apps
- search for a document in the folder structure
- Access to OCR layer with selectable text
- Dictionary available in all text modes with simple selection of expression
- tap left to advance and right to go back (or reverse to mimick oriental reading mode disabled since 2.0.0, will be reestablished soon)
- read by swiping
- and more to come...
Documents can be uploaded using iTunes, accessed from your Dropbox account, the included FTP server and using any free FTP client from your computer.
DjVu (pronounce "Déjà vu") is a compact and versatile document format. It is generally more compact than PDF (to 10 times smaller) and is very efficient to store scanned documents. There are a some large online libraries that provide a number of books in DjVu file format. The main source of information is to be found at djvu.org
Many documents are freely available in DjVu format, for example at www.archive.org. You may download them with Safari and open them with DjVu Reader.
If an outline is present it is displayed and can be used to access the outlined parts of the document. The outline is editable so to permit to browse with ease through the document.
A slider allows to paginate rapidly and conveniently to any point of the document.
DjVu documents are generally made of pictures of actual books or documents that are processed in DjVu format. So DjVu documents are image based, where each image represent a full page. So pages are like the genuine one and shown as a full image. Browsing through a DjVu documents is then a page by page image browsing.
DjVu Reader permit a browsing of most DjVu Documents that you may find. (Tapping left or right will turn the pages: soon...) Tapping on the center will toggle full screen viewing.
PDF documents are supported. Outline in PDF documents is usable to browse rapidly through the document when available. Not all PDF documents have an outline though.
Position in opened documents is remembered the next time you open it.
You can contribute to the future of the app by suggesting improvements. I will do my best to include the one I can manage.
I use DjVu Reader regularly and have made this app to be able to read the documents I have. So I will try to make this app as versatile as possible.
The Help contains more use explanations and some future improvements that were asked or that I want to implement.
Other fil types will be added in next releases.
- various bug corrections, in particular concerning corrupt djbu documents.
Ratings and Reviews
Some DjVu files no longer readable
After the latest update some djvu files can only be read in few pages. Then it turns blank. Do not update if you have not done it yet.
Thanks to the developer for giving us this much needed app. I used to view djvu files thru Stanza which is NOT a native viewer. What Stanza does is convert a djvu file into a format it is capable of reading, which is usually a cumbersome and lengthy process, producing a heavy file. I experienced many Stanza crashes. In contrast, Djvu Reader is a native reader, which opens instantly any djvu file (I've tried at least 20 files without any trouble). The image rendering is superb. Navigation thru the opened file is very smooth, with many options such as zooming, height fit (as opposed to width fit) and single tap page turning (as opposed to swiping). I hesitated a little because of the app price, but the investment is justified if you have many djvu files to read. This app has no rival at all.
To the developer I would suggest the possibility for the user to add popup notes. That would be really great!!
You don't always need a wifi connection to import files. You can directly import them from your computer to iPad through iTunes which means this app is good when you need to import a lot of files at a time.
1. I cannot still believe that there is no 'option' or 'preference' button anywhere in a $5.99 application. You should just use it as they made it.
2. This app does not allow you to fix the size of the pages as you flip them and it causes a huge problem, that is, if there is a blank page on your way in your djvu file, it seems that the app tries to detect something (a word, a picture or whatever it is that does not actually exist because you are on a blank page) by enlarging the size of the screen and the size of the page is fixed as it is enlarged for the next pages and the app ends up lagging and finally crashing.
3. It's $5.99.
There are tons of great applications for PDF files much better than this app for free or only for a dollar or two but this app charges you so much more just because there are only few apps for djvu files out there.
I was actually gonna call Apple to get my $5.99 back but decided to wait and see until they fix the problems and make this app better. Much better.
I already bought this app and am regretting but if you are on this page to purchase this application, I hope my review helps.
I cannot still believe that those picky users gave this app an average of 4 stars...
- Guglielmo Pasa
- 20 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © Guglielmo Pasa
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.