Doctor Who Infinity is a new game platform for experiencing the Doctor's stories, with 6 adventures coming by the end of 2018.
Unique puzzle game play changes from level to level with increasing complexity, where characters like the Doctor, Missy, Jo Grant appear on the board, as do opponents like Daleks, bombs, vehicles, and time vortexes. You have never played anything like this before. The game design is an innovation on the award-winning puzzle mechanic used in Doctor Who: Legacy with the mechanics tightly intertwined with story, immersing you in the story.
- FREE download of the game allows you to play the introductory arc of the first story as well as an introductory section of all stories released on the platform.
- Each story features a different Doctor from a different era of the show, including both modern and classic Doctors, companions, monsters as well as entirely new characters to discover!
- Brought to life by Michelle Gomez, Ingrid Oliver, Katy Manning, Bella Ramsey, Celyn Jones, Steffan Rhodri, Nick Briggs and other incredible actors, as part of an amazing audio experience overseen by the award-winning audio director of Monument Valley, Stafford Bawler.
- Each story is written by major Doctor Who author: George Mann, Gary Russell, Scott Handcock (launch stories) and Jac Rayner, Mike Collins in post launch stories coming soon.
- Comic book artists Mike Collins, David Roach, Neil Edwards, Dylan Teague, Kris Carter, John-Paul Bove, Emma Vieceli, Patrick Goddard bring these launch stories richly to life.
PLEASE NOTE that this game is aimed at the adult Doctor Who fan, comfortable with mature, dramatic themes.
Accolades / Reviews:
**Winner of UK Game of Show at Game Developer Conference 2018 from UKIE!**
Doctor Who Magazine says "These are the best Doctor Who stories ever told in a video game".
“The game was stimulating visually, audibly and mentally. I really enjoyed the story telling. It felt like the sort of thing one might see in the actual television program... It was a really unique puzzle experience that I've not seen utilised in other games.”
-The Gallifrey Times
“Overall, The Dalek Invasion of Time is a fantastic start to Doctor Who Infinity. ...While the gameplay is more refreshing than what we’ve seen in Doctor Who Legacy, it’s the story and the presentation that’s the main draw for this series.”
"On the board you’ll have to battle Dalek gems, protect character gems, deploy character gems, etc...It’s an interesting tactic in a gem game, and it’s, dare I say, revolutionary?"
- Geeks WorldWide
Ratings and Reviews
Good story, average game
I’m a long time Doctor Who Legacy player so I was very excited when DW Infinity came out. Unfortunately, the game is pretty average. The best part of the app is the story. In fact, if you approach this as a Doctor Who comic book app, you will not be disappointed. The stories are well thought out and contain all the twists and turns you would expect from a multi-part story arc on the show.
As for the game, it is a bit disappointing. The first issue I had is that you spend less than 25% of your game time playing the match-3 game. The rest of your time is spent reading or listening to the story. The second thing is that game itself is very different from DW Legacy. You don’t have a team or level up. It is just you versus the board. So there is a lot less engagement between the player and how they can beat the game. Finally, the game rules change each time you advance through the story. It starts with match-3, then it adds in protecting a tile, protecting multiple tiles, destroying one or more tiles, etc. The rules change so much that you never really get a chance to master anything. It’s strange because they obviously spent a lot of time crafting the game side of the app, but it still feels like it was an afterthought.
So, definitely get this game if you are looking for a Doctor Who comic. You will probably want to look elsewhere if you are looking for a fun game to pass the time.
Bow ties are cool. Match 3 games are not cool...
An interesting free to try game (requires $4.99 price to access the rest of a story arc) that blends great original Doctor Who stories with a unsatisfying match 3 game. The price of an ark is worth it alone for the full rich story narrated by Doctor Who veterans and visual drawn by talented artists.
Unfortunately the gameplay of the match 3 puzzles, which are challenging and well designed, get in the way of story. The puzzles require some thought to solve and can be fun at times but ultimately after solving the same type of puzzles over and over there isn’t any incentive other than to proceed the story. Puzzles can be skipped if you fail enough times but I wish you can skip them at the start of the puzzle sections.
The games two elements ultimately clash with each other. I definitely would recommend to Who fans if they can put up with the match 3 game for the story. Other than that I don’t know if casual gamers would play for a story when hey can play other casual games. 3/5
A fun match 3 game, with intense story!
Besides being the everyday match 3 puzzler we are all accustomed to. This app brings comic book aesthetics and real voice acting into play. It’s challenging at first, but with practice, easy to master. A fourth wall break here and there, but all in good tastes. It’s an entertaining app for all fans new and old into the Doctor Who world. With hours of content, those arc packs look certainly good for enjoying in the near future. If you are ready to be taken into a whole new world, of wacky situations and some good humor, what’s stopping you from enjoying this app?
- Tiny Rebel Games Limited
- 1.7 GB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- BBC logo © BBC 1996. Doctor Who logo and insignia © BBC 2018. Licensed by BBC Worldwide Limited trading as BBC Studios.
- In-App Purchases
- The Dalek Invasion of Time $4.99
- The Lady of the Lake $4.99
- The Orphans of the Polyoptra $4.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.