Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 32nd Edition
By Mobile Systems
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The first and last word in medicine for over 110 years! Thoroughly updated, this user-friendly reference, trusted for more than a century by healthcare personnel at every professional level, allows you to grasp the meanings of all medical terms in current usage. Understand and correctly use all the latest terminology in today’s ever-evolving medical field with the 32nd Edition of the comprehensive, highly respected Dorland’s Illustrated Medical Dictionary!
* Enhance your understanding of all the current medical terminology in your field by relying on the most comprehensive and highly respected medical dictionary, bringing you more than 120,000 well-defined entries and 1500 clear illustrations.
* Listen to 35,000 audio pronunciations.
New to This Edition
* Make sure you're familiar with the very latest medical terms used today with more than 5,500 new entries drawn from current sources.
* Complement your understanding of new words and ideas in medicine with 500 new illustrations
* Get more information in a smaller amount of space as the revised entry format includes related parts of speech.
A search tool
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
* A quick search of words while you type
* A ‘fuzzy filter’ when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* A ‘keyword’ search for finding key words within compound words
* A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A learning tool
The app includes a number of features which help you to grow your vocabulary further:
* A ‘Favorites’ feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words from the extensive library, which includes all cross-curriculum words
* Your last visited words are all saved in your ‘History’, so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
* Discover more about language with the special ‘Daily feature
* "Flashcards" to give you the opportunity to use newly learnt words
What's New in Version 5.2.22
* Optimized for iOS 5
This dictionary was recommended by my professor in a medical terminology course. I thought the iPad version would be more useful than a hard copy but I am disappointed. The flashcards are not overly functional if you have different study sets you need to form. Having the word pronounced for you is nice but that is basically the only positive use of technology they use with this app. Everything else is just like having a book...nothing else is interactive. There is so much more they could have done. You pay a little less than a paper copy of the book but at this price it would have been nice to see more electronic benefits. I could have purchased a much cheaper app for my purposes. I feel like I just paid for the name and reputation. Other companies are doing a better job when it comes to electronic medical reference materials.
A good start, but many improvements are needed.
Let's start with the fact this app is nowhere CLOSE to being worth $50, let alone $30. They see to have some great features (abbreviation list, flash cards, a great dictionary), but they all seem to be underdeveloped. First, it doesn't appear to have been properly formatted for an electronic device - you can barely see the print! Secondly, as an illustrated version, I expect some decent diagrams, but there are very few. There are many features of the iPad I would like to see utilized for this app before I could happily recommend it. The only benefit I see with the app, is the ability to more quickly search the dictionary than with its hardbook counterpart. Oh, and it's lighter to carry.
Not bad as pocket assistant
I use this app from time to time, better than carrying the book !!, but for price i prefer to help people by lowering it cost, you could get more sales!!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Medical
- Updated: Feb 07, 2013
- Version: 5.2.22
- Size: 310 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Mobile Systems
- © 2011 Mobile Systems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.