Welcome to DownBeat, the granddaddy of American music magazines, covering the world of Jazz, Blues & Beyond. Each issue of DownBeat brings you a backstage pass of news, reviews and inside stories about the best music and musicians on the planet. With every issue of DownBeat you'll get:
* Record Reviews—More than 50 new, insightful reviews each month
* The Hot Box—Four critics each review the same four records, a supreme court of jazz
* The DownBeat Interviews—Instant classics written by the best music writers in the world
* The Blindfold Test—The world's most famous listening test in music
* Woodshed—Playing tips, transcriptions and musical advice from our panel of expert jazz educators.
User interface changes for alignments and spacing optimisations
Improved app performance, bug fixes and crashes fixed
Ratings and Reviews
Great content every month and the problems with the lost issues are no longer a concern I noticed they uploaded from the previous years too. The Bible of Jazz!
Well, it's technically "digital," I guess...
But this e-version of Downbeat is something a 12-year old might develop, basically a straight PDF of the print edition. However, it's not even as functional as most PDF files. For example, you cannot:
1) jump to an article from the contents page
2) click on web links in the text and open them in a browser
3) annotate, highlight, copy, share, or basically do anything with the text other than stare at it
4) search the text
If you want to see a good digital edition of an originally print magazine, check out Wired. Too bad we can't get Downbeat's content in something like that. Very shoddy implementation.
...but I already have a subscription... ?
I saw the full page add in the print Downbeat magazine and thought "Great! I can augment it with the iPad version." But no, seems I have to subscribe separately to the iPad version from the print version.
Bummer. I will not subscribe _twice_ for the same content.
(I'm hoping I just missed something?)
- Maher Publications Inc.
- 33.5 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, Japanese, Russian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012 Maher Publications Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- DownBeat Magazine $19.99
- July 2014 $1.99
- December 2013 $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.