By Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A powerful, complete, and easy to use podcast player that will help you manage and listen to podcasts the way you want to.
Now with CarPlay support!
"Downcast: Probably The Best Podcast Downloader for iPad and iPhone" - Wired Gadget Lab
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically
• Continue podcast downloads in the background*
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-refresh podcast feeds
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected podcasts
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast titles
iCloud Syncing with other iOS devices or Macs**
• Podcast subscriptions
• Episode information
• Video and audio AirPlay support
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x and 3x speed playback
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
• Playback control from external devices
• Bluetooth devices
• Headphone remote controls
• Devices connected via Lightning/dock connector
• View embedded images in podcast episodes
• Gesture support
• Sleep timer
• Google Cast™ Ready
For support, please search our support site at http://support.downcastapp.com or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
For the latest information about Downcast, please follow @downcastapp on Twitter!
* Per iOS restrictions
** iCloud syncing with Macs requires Downcast for Mac, which is a separate purchase from the Mac App Store
What's New in Version 2.9.14
• Picture in Picture support for iPad
• Fixes issue preventing downloading/streaming episodes directly from search results
• Fixes issues with infrequent updating of podcast & playlist episode counts and other statistics
• Fixes an iCloud syncing issue that could lead to downloaded episodes being marked for streaming
• Improves chapter title display on player view
• Fixes several crashes
• Fixes a couple issues with video presentation on iPad
• Drops support for iOS 8
best podcast app, needs some minor tweeks
I really have grown to love this app. Primarily for it's player functions and ability to fast forward, rewind more than just two options, and to adjust speed without clicking into two levels. However, for someone who is becoming older and sight challenged, the player layout requires excellent vision closeup and small fingers (and I really don't have either). To perfect this app, I would suggest the ability to change the colors/size of font or have an accessbility option for the sight challenged. I'm not really interested in seeing the picture or the show notes unless I really want to, so that real estate could be used to make larger buttons. The black on red is not high contrast so I have trouble seeing the speed settings and if I don't hit the spot right it missesand hits the skip button to the next podcast (GARH). Also I have had some issues with attaching photos with uploaded audio books from the library that it changes all the uploaded files to the same photo (frustrating). So i have avoided adding photos. Also, it would be nice in the feed to have folders (ie types of podcasts or content can be filtered). I too have had issues with some podcasts starting to download and an error that can't be corrected. I think that might be on the file type the creator puts up but I'm not sure.
Still ‘downloads’ zombie episodes
A very good app with a problem in last half-dozen versions where sometimes an episode will show a download error, then show up anyway in a playlist as downloaded, but the file will be only 800b long and have no audio. This disrupts the continuous playback of my carefully curated podcast playlists that is the best feature of the app. It is no longer a steady, reliable companion for long drives, washing dishes, or long sessions working in the garden—situations where having to pause and manipulate the phone to restart playback with the next episode in the queue is irritating or outright dangerous. I have given a lot of feedback and still no progress. It should be possible to make sure that such problem downloads, rather than stopping playback and requiring accessing the phone to continue with the next correct podcast in the queue, are simply skipped and the next playable episode continues. This is a design flaw and a safety risk especially while driving—when I count on long periods of uninterrupted hands-free playback.
Still hoping this problem can be fixed, because this app is so much better than the disaster of iTunes and the apple Podcast app.
Still the best podcaster
I’ve tried the latest, greatest, and highest rated podcast apps. If you’re a power user, you’ll always come back to Downcast. The customizability and options are essential to the power user, though the average podcast listener probably won’t care.
My hope is that even though they’re the best, they continue to strive for bettering themselves for their user group: power users.
Areas I’d like to see improved: speed and app responsiveness, more audio boosting options, a slider bar for precise speed (like pocket casts). Otherwise, this app is TOP of the game. Serious.
- Category: News
- Updated: Apr 11, 2016
- Version: 2.9.14
- Size: 19.1 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- © 2010-2016 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Motivating Tip$5.99
- Encouraging Tip$2.99
- Inspiring Tip$11.99
- Galvanizing Tip$8.99