By Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
A powerful, complete, and easy to use podcast player that will help you manage and listen to podcasts the way you want to.
Now with CarPlay support!
"Downcast: Probably The Best Podcast Downloader for iPad and iPhone" - Wired Gadget Lab
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically
• Continue podcast downloads in the background*
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-refresh podcast feeds
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected podcasts
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast titles
iCloud Syncing with other iOS devices or Macs**
• Podcast subscriptions
• Episode information
• Video and audio AirPlay support
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x and 3x speed playback
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
• Playback control from external devices
• Bluetooth devices
• Headphone remote controls
• Devices connected via Lightning/dock connector
• View embedded images in podcast episodes
• Gesture support
• Sleep timer
• Google Cast™ Ready
For support, please search our support site at http://support.downcastapp.com or email us at email@example.com!
For the latest information about Downcast, please follow @downcastapp on Twitter!
* Per iOS restrictions
** iCloud syncing with Macs requires Downcast for Mac, which is a separate purchase from the Mac App Store
What's New in Version 2.9.21
• Adds ability to control the amount of detail displayed in lists of episodes (new toolbar button).
• CarPlay UI switched to tabbed UI
• CarPlay UI now indicates which episodes are to be streamed
• Performance & battery life improvements for users with huge playlists and large numbers of podcasts.
• Fixes issue with certain media files being cut off early.
• Fixes issue preventing iPhone X home bar from being hidden automatically when playing videos
• Fixes issue preventing download of episodes from servers reporting incorrect `Content-Length`, within reason.
• Fixes several issues leading to crashes in the background
• Fixes several iCloud syncing related issues
• Fixes issue that could cause syncing to stop working until opening in the foreground.
• Fixes issue that could prevent CarPlay from launching Downcast while iPhone is locked.
• Fixes several issues that could have led to the now playing information not being updated on the lock screen
Happy with Downcast for years
I love the configurable skip forward and back times. When I'm driving I can reach over and swipe forward 20 seconds or back 10 (which work best for me). Double tap to pause is awesome. Per-podcast global overrides help audio-boost certain podcasts, play them continuously or not, and adjust playback speed. I can choose to Lock specific episodes so they don't delete.
[Update] the ability to save all settings and podcasts in iCloud, in a granular fashion, made it so easy to do a fresh start with my iPhone. Thank you!!
Still the one I use most 😁
I’ve used Downcast for years and it’s been rock-solid for most of that time, still surpassing Apple Podcasts. When I saw this most recent update I was encouraged that it’s still being maintained but … now scrolling = constant redrawing, and most episodes claim “no description available” though other podcatchers display shownotes for them. Can you please take another look?
Update: Newest version did the trick. Adjusting the preview size minimizes redrawing, and the episode descriptions are back. Back up to five stars with you! 😁
If you use on multiple devices, prepare to lose everything
On the surface using iCloud to sync between devices is a big plus. In practice this is implemented horribly by Downcast. Instead of syncing based on the most recent changes, Downcast will happily sync whatever you opened last as the “master” copy. So if you have the app on the Mac and iPhone, and have been using the iPhone version exclusively for a while, as soon as you fire up the Mac app it will “sync” your phone with whatever old information was on the Mac - deleting any new podcasts or episodes along the way and forcing you to search for and add those deleted podcasts and episodes.
It’s a good app for one and only one device. Stay away if you want/need syncing between devices.
- Category: News
- Updated: Dec 28, 2017
- Version: 2.9.21
- Size: 34.9 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- © 2010-2017 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Encouraging Tip$2.99
- Motivating Tip$5.99
- Inspiring Tip$11.99
- Galvanizing Tip$8.99